Associate Principal Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology, Oncology Research
Do you have expertise in, and a passion for oncology research & development? Would you like to apply your expertise in in vivo & in vitro experiments in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. We turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being ambitious, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
At AZ, we're proud to have an exceptional workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity. AZ is a place where passionate people can immerse themselves in their work and make significant contributions to scientific excellence and medicines - does this describe a place where you would like to work?
What you'll do:
We are seeking a highly motivated and independent Associate Principal Scientist (APS) with experience in cancer biology and a track record of scientific excellence to join our In Vivo Pharmacology Team in Gaithersburg, MD USA. As an In Vivo Pharmacology APS, you will be leading research to evaluate the efficacy and mechanisms of action of antibody drug conjugates (ADCs), therapeutic antibodies, and nanomedicines. You will utilize your cancer biology experience and practical expertise to generate robust datasets that will have a direct impact on the oncology drug discovery process and drug pipeline.
Working in this laboratory-based position within the Early Oncology In Vivo Pharmacology Team, you will develop, design, conduct and analyze both in vivo and in vitro experiments to assess the function of our candidate oncology drugs and dissect the mechanism of action of novel cancer therapeutics. You will be expected to collaborate with cross-functional teams including representatives from Translational Medicine, DMPK, and Safety to help understand the translatability of in vivo research to the clinic. You will work collaboratively with project leaders to ensure the timely generation, and dissemination of critical program data, and contribute to scientific publication goals. As a highly organized, self-motivated individual with a strong background in laboratory science you will stay up to date with relevant technical and intellectual scientific expertise in tumor biology, pharmacology and cancer modeling and have a genuine passion for this field of research.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Ph.D. with >5 years of research experience in cancer biology or pharmacology.
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience preferred but not essential.
- Experience developing and working with complex in vivo models, such as xenograft, patient derived xenograft (PDX), syngeneic and autochthonous mouse models.
- Experience delivering in vivo pharmacology studies in mouse tumor models, including dose-finding tolerability studies, PK/PD and efficacy studies.
- Experience with a range of in vitro skills, e.g. cell culture, molecular biology, immunoblotting, flow cytometry and ELISA.
- Works independently, assesses, and reports data in a clear and concise manner, with a clear understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug discovery.
- Maintains a well-developed understanding of approaches to drug discovery and applies a broader functional knowledge of the procedures used by diverse project groups to support the department where needed.
- Ability to drive, manage, execute and deliver results for complex multi-functional projects.
- Proven ability to manage, motivate, and develop direct reports.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills together with evidence of delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to report data in a clear and concise manner, with a clear understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug discovery.
- A proven track record of high productivity and scientific publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Experience with orthotopic xenograft and humanized models of cancer.
- Experience conducting in vivo research using biologics including, peptides, antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates and oncolytic viruses.
- Experience designing, conducting and analyzing multi-spectral flow cytometry immune-phenotyping studies.
- Experience in drug development in pharmaceutical or biotech industries
- Experience with ADC projects
- Experience in managing external collaborations
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big! Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.Site Description
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria, and nature walks. This is where you'll find newly designed, activity-based workspaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.So, what's next?
A place built on courage, curiosity, and collaboration - we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take calculated risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline.
If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and passionate about the possibilities, then we are keen to hear from you!Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=enNext steps:
Apply today, or connect with our Talent Acquisition Partner - Kayla Harris: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kayla-harris-8723ab13b/ for a confidential discussion to explore this opportunity further. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
This job has expired.