The Business Development Manager, Corporate ("the Manager") is responsible for supporting Shearman & Sterling's partners in developing, implementing and promoting business development and marketing strategies for the firm's M&A practice group and additional support for the Corporate Business Unit. The role is indirectly supported by two Business Development Analysts.
The Manager will work with the Senior Business Development Manager, practice group leaders and partners to develop and implement effective business development and marketing strategies that align with the firm's established priorities and business plans.
The Manager will utilize firm and industry resources to develop a comprehensive knowledge of the firm's M&A offering and position in the marketplace.
The Manager focuses on increasing visibility of the practice group through marketing initiatives that communicate its expertise and differentiate it to stakeholders including prospective and existing clients, prospective lateral attorneys, firm partners, associates, staff, business influencers, and other constituents. Responsibilities include profile raising, client targeting, pitches and credentials, and market research in support of the practice group's efforts.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Lead and draft tailored pitches, client presentations, and responses to RFPs.
- Manage submissions for directory and research guides and track awards and practice group specific directory submissions.
- Utilize industry resources, including MergerMarket, PitchBook, Preqin and CapitalIQ, among others, to develop trend and client intelligence reports.
- Develop and maintain reporting systems utilizing firm databases for various pitches, deal tracking and opportunities.
- Implement business plans and targeted business development initiatives for the M&A practice group and group partners in alignment with firm-wide goals; develop and track marketing budgets; set achievement metrics and progress against plan and objectives.
- Execute initiatives to enhance client service including client satisfaction feedback programs and initiatives to penetrate new markets.
- Implement identification and development of target markets including market research, financial analyses, and marketing support of M&A business development opportunities.
- Assist in tracking marketing plans and budgets, individual partner goals, and targeted business development initiatives.
- Draft and update practice area brochures, web and micro site postings, and other marketing collateral.
- Implement profile-raising opportunities, including conferences, external speaking engagements, sponsorships, client alerts, and article placements.
- Collaborate with marketing and communications team to implement external communications and media opportunities, including speaking and by-lined article and thought leadership opportunities.
- Help identify, plan, and execute in-house client events, external speaking engagements, and conferences.
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to develop and create relationships and communicate and interact with the practice groups and partners, working as part of a global team.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to think creatively to work through complex issues successfully.
- Comfortable multi-tasking and working on multiple conflicting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong sense of teamwork but confident working autonomously.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and responsibilities and consistently deliver high-quality results in a timely manner while working in a fast-paced international working environment.
- Excellent collaborator with strong interpersonal skills, successfully able to build relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficient in MS Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel; familiarity working with CRM systems a plus.
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required; advanced degree preferred.
- 5-7 years relevant business development experience in a law firm or business services environment in M&A or a similar transactional practice area.
- Global client relationship management experience a plus.
- Experience with planning and preparing pitches, presentations and other marketing materials required.
- Experience supervising a team.
- Flexibility to work outside regular business hours will be necessary.
This job has expired.