EAD - DIVERSITY AFFAIRS (IN-DMDA-IUINA)
Our vision is to develop a vibrant, diverse community where each member of the Indiana University School of Medicine (IUSM) has the optimal capability to make meaningful contributions to their career goals and the institution's mission. Our unit is the Center for Inclusive Excellence (CIE) where our work is comprised of diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ). We serve 1,436 medical students, 1,340 medical residents and fellows, 641 students in the graduate division programs, over 3,000 full time faculty and over 2,000 staff. The CIE serves learners of all types, faculty and staff and is focused on advancing education, clinical care, and research through a DEIJ lens. There are three pillars of the diversity work at IUSM. These include 1) representational diversity, 2) inclusive working and learning climate and 3) cultural competence, humility, and anti-racism.
As the nation's largest medical school, IUSM is committed to being an institution that not only reflects the diversity of the learners we teach and the patient populations we serve, but also pursues the values of diversity, equity and inclusion that inform academic excellence. We desire candidates who enhance our representational diversity, as well as those whose work contributes to equitable and inclusive learning and working environments for our students, staff, and faculty. IUSM strives to take an anti-racist stance, regularly evaluating and updating its policies, procedures, and practices to confer equitable opportunities for contribution and advancement for all members of our community. We invite individuals who will join us in our mission to advance racial equity to transform health and well-being for all throughout the state of Indiana.
The person in this position is responsible for the coordination of marketing/communication strategies on behalf of the Center for Inclusive Excellence, which includes the logistics for a variety of DEIJ programmatic efforts and events. Areas of focus may include writing and editing communications, producing multimedia, creating informative and educational materials, maintaining social media and web content, or generating promotional pieces. Work may involve multiple consecutive projects and collaboration and consultation with other departments and employees including supervising project coordinator(s) occasionally.
- Responsible for overseeing the implementation of both internal and external communication strategies while collaboratively working with other key stakeholders within the school, University, clinical affiliates, and others.
- Navigates relationships with various internal and external stakeholders and creates communications coverage for relevant initiatives, events, and programs
- Ensures the preparation of communication timelines and shares progress of communications toward relevant deadlines with team members, and other relevant constituents
- Works closely with events manager to strategize and communicate event activities; collaboratively monitors effectiveness and return on investment of events. Creates event reports including information compiled for stakeholders and for internal assessments and review
- Produce an executive annual report related to strategic planning, outcomes and information about the work done by the Center for Inclusive Excellence and the Indiana University School of Medicine around Inclusive Excellence.
- Perform communications research relevant to DEIJ and monitor the progress of various communication strategies within the field; establish communication plans based on evidence-based practices for strategic departmental use-and beyond as applicable
- Establishes and implements strategies for standardized (i.e. editable templates) communications for departmental announcements (i.e. module launches, new program announcements, save the dates, slide decks etc.,) working closely with strategic communications as needed
- Works collaboratively with depts to co-create marketing strategies and materials for programs and events
- Ensures that marketing materials and ads fit within the University's brand standard. Includes making sure that social media materials reflect brand standards as well and reflect the views of the department
- Actively monitors marketing opportunities in relevant journals, magazines and websites and secures necessary opportunities as approved by departmental leadership
- Meets with the director of equity and inclusion weekly to share updates as well as reports updates in departmental team meetings. Updates should include registration updates, budget updates/needs, strategies, and timelines, etc.
- Independently creates basic and complex communications for print and e-distribution on behalf of department or functional area within department and in support of departmental goals and objectives; communications may be interdepartmental; staff, faculty, or student-focused; or external.
- Responds to inquiries and requests and explains policies, procedures, and context of communications.
- Manages relationships with various internal and external stakeholders and creates communications coverage for relevant initiatives, events, and programs.
- Prepares communications timelines and shares progress of communications toward relevant deadlines with manager, team members, and other relevant constituents.
- Regularly monitors relevant social media and news sites; researches relevant subject matter to increase knowledge in area(s) of specialty.
- Utilizes various communications software programs and delivers communications in multiple formats to a variety of audiences.
- May provide guidance to lower-level Communications Generalists.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, English, public relations, or related field
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
- 2 years in relevant field
Working Conditions / Demands
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Indianapolis, IndianaBenefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Career
Job Function: Marketing & Communications
Job Family: Communications Generalist
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.