Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
SMU's more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and over 80 countries to take advantage of the University's small classes, meaningful research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs.
SMU serves approximately 7,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students through eight degree-granting schools: Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, Cox School of Business, Lyle School of Engineering, Meadows School of the Arts, Simmons School of Education and Human Development, Dedman School of Law, Perkins School of Theology and Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies.
SMU is data driven, and its powerful supercomputing ecosystem - paired with entrepreneurial drive - creates an unrivaled environment for the University to deliver research excellence.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical, enterprising leaders in their professions and communities. SMU's relationship with Dallas - the dynamic center of one of the nation's fastest-growing regions - offers unique learning, research, social and career opportunities that provide a launch pad for global impact.
SMU is nonsectarian in its teaching and committed to academic freedom and open inquiry.
About the Position:
This role is an on-campus, in-person position.
The Department Coordinator is responsible for marketing support for the Department of Statistics & Data Science and management of administrative tasks for faculty, staff and students. It includes daily marketing of departmental social media sites; daily update, review, and management of various departmental databases; support of doctoral and undergraduate programs; management and tracking of faculty and doctoral students; support of undergraduate advising; and management of department and project budgets. The Coordinator initiates financial transactions for the department and is responsible for the appropriateness and accuracy of those transactions and electronic record-keeping. The job requires a self-motivated and detail-oriented person with strong technical ability for all aspects of marketing and administration. The Coordinator assures departmental compliance with University and College procedures and assists the Associate Director as needed.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Initiates and manages social media sites, reply to contacts, and maintain marketing efforts to increase the exposure of departmental programs on line. Evaluates and optimizes placement of web sites in searches and ensures that all department web sites are timely and accurate. Reports periodically to faculty.
- Manages enrollment requests/permissions and course enrollment. Manages proctoring for exams, processes student petitions and assists with scheduling and room assignment. Identifies and assists teaching assistants, graders, and tutors. Advises students on scheduling, organizes graduate student orientation, manages book orders and acquires desk copies; other tasks as assigned.
- Manages all paperwork for faculty, staff and student hiring. Manages recruitment visits, maintains files for recruitment and P&T reviews. Processes payroll forms and sets up new employees in HR system. Maintains up-to-date database of graduate students, including exam completion, research and teaching assistantships, office occupancy, etc.; other tasks as assigned.
- Manages faculty and student travel and expense reports. Monitors and keep up-to-date records of all budgets. Manages p-card reports and time entries for student workers. Manages department and faculty dues and subscriptions, graduate student financial assistance, departmental awards and scholarships. Maintains records of all invoices; reports to chair.
- Supports the chair and the faculty in administrative aspects of teaching and scholarship. Schedules meeting rooms, assigns and tracks student office occupancy, updates directories, makes photocopies, and manages incoming and outgoing mail. Maintains electronic department mailing lists and chart of office occupancy, completes administrative reports and surveys for professional and government agencies and orders goods and services; other tasks as assigned.
- Manages, procures, tracks, stores, and distributes supplies, office equipment, and computers. Manages facilities and maintenance requests, acquires room keys and office furniture, and supports emergency management and building evacuation. Maintains tidiness of break room, conference room, and other common areas. Updates hallway bulletin boards regularly; other tasks as assigned.
- Manages events and logistics. Procures venue, food, parking, awards, and gifts. Orders faculty regalia for commencement events. Publicizes and distributes electronic newsletters for department clubs and societies using social media, group emails, and other formats as necessary. Creates and maintains up-to-date database and mailing list of department alumni. Manages social media to track, interact, and contact alumni.
- Occasional evening/weekend hours will be required.
A bachelor's degree is required.
A minimum of two years of experience is required. Experience working in academic advising and student support is preferred. Experience supporting academic departmental administration is also preferred. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must possess strong marketing capability on social media, website management and database management.
Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate broadly across the University and develop and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of constituencies. Must also demonstrate strong written communication skills.
Candidate must possess strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify and analyze problems, as well as devise solutions. Must also have strong organizational, planning and time-management skills.
Candidate must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Zoom, DocuSign, Adobe Acrobat Professional and Adobe Photoshop.
Candidate familiarity with university information systems, such as Interfolio, Slate and my.smu, is a plus.Physical and Environmental Demands:
Deadline to Apply:
- Sit for long periods of time
This position is open until filled. EEO Statement:
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, email@example.com.Benefits:
SMU offers staff a broad, competitive array of health and related benefits. In addition to traditional benefits such as health, dental, and vision plans, SMU offers a wide range of wellness programs to help attract, support, and retain our employees whose work continues to make SMU an outstanding education and research institution.
SMU is committed to providing an array of retirement programs that benefit and protect you and your family throughout your working years at SMU and, if you meet SMU's retirement eligibility criteria, during your retirement years after you leave SMU.
The value of learning at SMU isn't just about preparing our students for the future. Employees have access to a wide variety of professional and personal development opportunities, including tuition benefits.
This job has expired.