STUDENT SERVICES (KO-SSER-IUKOA)
- Advises the Student Union Board, Student Athletic & Wellness Board, Cougar Advocates for Diversity and any programming done by the Student Activities Office.
- Provides assistance and support to a variety of special student populations, including underrepresented and/or first generation college students, and other student groups requiring advocacy
- Assists various student groups on campus in planning activities and coordinating leadership development opportunities for students.
- Provides direct supervision to one graduate assistant and at least one student intern.
- Collaborates with the Office of Admissions and Advising Centers to recruit and retain students. A significant portion of the duties related to this position focuses on the promotion of out-of-class co-curricular and learning opportunities.
- Develops and implements programs and initiatives geared at improving student engagement and involvement outcomes at the program, department/division, or campus level.
- Interfaces directly with students, attending student life events and programs and gathering satisfaction feedback from student participants to implement into future student life initiatives and objectives.
- Collaborates with staff in own department and other departments, as well as student organization leaders, on shared student life goals, often coordinating funding to sponsor student life initiatives.
- Measures and evaluates effectiveness of student life initiatives against projected outcomes; regularly prepares reports and presents to stakeholders on effectiveness and to secure funding for initiatives moving forward.
- Provides guidance to student organizations regarding operations, budget, leadership, activities, recruitment, registration, policies, and compliance. Promotes leadership and student development through advising of individual student leaders and volunteers. Contributes to formation, interpretation, and implementation of student organization policies.
- Plans and coordinates communications for student life initiatives to ensure student participation and inclusion.
- May provide guidance to other Student Life Specialists; makes process recommendations to manager for improved delivery of service.
- Bachelor's degree in public affairs, public health, counseling, social work, education, business, or related field
- Master's degree in higher education student affairs or related field
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
- 2 years in student services, higher education, or related field
Working Conditions / Demands
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrates time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Demonstrates ability to maintain confidential information
- Demonstrates customer service skills
- Commitment to working with people from diverse backgrounds and demonstrated cultural competency
- Ability to build strong partnerships with students and other university departments
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Kokomo, IndianaBenefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Career
Job Function: Student Services
Job Family: Student Life
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us