FACILITY OPERATIONS-IUB (BL-PHYP-IUBLA)
The Capital Planning & Facilities mission is to create a physical environment that fosters success. We plan, create, maintain, and preserve Indiana University's beautiful, functional, and sustainable campuses. Our units work together to support excellence in teaching, learning, research, and community engagement - across all IU campuses. CPF also serves as a liaison with the state of Indiana for all capital projects, including the Capital Appropriations Request, the state approval process for all capital projects, and the various capital and space utilization reports required by the state.
Our staff members are our most valuable asset. Each individual is a team member who contributes to the decision-making process. We seek creative and innovative solutions to meet our customers' needs. We set high service standards, and we reward superior effort and results. We promote the personal growth of our staff through education and training.
At CPF, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion are inseparable from our mission to create campuses and communities that keep our faculty, staff and students feeling safe, supported and included. CPF cares about each individual and the unique background and capabilities they bring to our team. It is through these diverse experiences and perspectives that we will thrive in the future as a team that actively represents Indiana University's commitment to diversity and equity.
You can learn more about CPF.
Department Specific Responsibilities
- Assists with maintenance and repair of campus lighting systems.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance of emergency generator systems.
- Measures, cuts, bends, threads, assembles, and installs electrical conduit (both EMT and rigid, and wiremold). Measures, cuts, and installs wires into conduit and makes proper connections at junction boxes and equipment.
- Splices wires by stripping insulation from terminal leads and twisting wires together, and applies tape or terminal caps.
- Connects wiring to lighting fixtures and power equipment. Installs or replaces control and distribution apparatus such as switches and circuit-breaker panels.
- Connects power cables to equipment, such as electric range or motor, and installs grounding leads.
- Performs electrical repairs to include, but not limited to, outlets, switches, and ballasts; removes and replaces light fixtures; and repairs appliances and faulty equipment and systems.
- Investigates circuits to determine source, voltage, load, zone, etc. Tests continuity of circuit to ensure electrical compatibility and safety of components with testing instruments such as multi-meter, volt-ohm meter, amp-probe, etc. Observes functioning of installed equipment or system to detect hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement.
- Cleans work areas, tools, machines, and other equipment.
- Performs other semi-skilled electrical as assigned. Drives vehicle as needed.
- High school diploma or GED
WORK EXPERIENCE Required
- 3 years Craft maintenance work which includes experience in construction, appliance repair, and electrical control installation and repair.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES Required
- Possesses a valid driver's license and ability to be insured by Indiana University Upon date of Hire
Working Conditions / Demands
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrates time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to represent the company with external constituents
- Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion
- Ability to build strong customer relationships
- Working knowledge of electrical methods, practices, and have knowledge of the applicable building codes, regulations or ordinances.
- Knowledge of and ability to use electrical materials, tools, equipment, and testing instruments such as multi-meter, volt-ohm meter, amp-probe, etc.
- Ability to perform duties requiring frequent medium-heavy physical effort.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and to read and interpret drawings, blueprints and/or schematics.
- Ability to use a computer.
- Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner
- Ability to make and work from measurements and to make mathematical computations required to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to work with wide variety of cultures and backgrounds
This role requires the ability to remain in a stationary position as well as the ability to move about the workplace for long durations. It requires effective communication, the ability to operate machinery, tools, and controls. The role requires the ability to ascend/descend ladders/stairs, and to position one's self in low level positions, detect a variety of chemicals and/or gases. The role requires the ability to ascend to rooftops and move in tight spaces to perform and complete inspections. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Bloomington, IndianaAdvertised Salary
$47,000 annuallyBenefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Intermediate
Job Function: Engineering, Trades & Facility
Job Family: Licensed & Skilled Trades
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.