The Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) is seeking a Registered Land Surveyor to primarily perform in-office reviews of Highway Right of Way (ROW) plans, legal descriptions and other documents prepared by others to help ensure that information accurately reflects available surveys, and deeds and are aligned with acceptable land surveying practices.
The Nebraska Department of Transportation provides the best possible transportation system for the movement of people and goods by creating and maintaining life-changing transportation systems that connect people and communities, enhancing the quality of life for all Nebraskans. Our culture is vibrant, and teammates feel valued as individuals and as part of our team. We hire good people who share our sense of pride and are excited to make a difference in the lives of fellow Nebraskans.
At the Nebraska Department of Transportation, we reward our employee's hard work with a friendly and supportive work environment and a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• State-matched retirement contribution of 156%!
• 13 paid holidays
• Generous leave accruals that begin immediately
• A culture that embraces work-life balance
• Job security and stability, even during times of economic hardship
• Military leave
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Dependent tuition reimbursement program with partnering Nebraska community colleges
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) through the Federal government
• 79% employer paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and development based on your career aspirations
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fun, inviting teammates
• Free parking
The salary range for this position is $24.971 - $36.810/hr. The pay rate may be commensurate with education and/or experience within fiscal constraints if approved.
Please reach out to Katherine Ortiz, Talent Acquisition Partner, at 402-432-1266, if you have questions or to learn more.
Apply today using our new quick apply process! Just attach your resume when prompted. Please note that if you parse your resume at the beginning of the application process, you'll still need to also attach your resume at the end of the process.
Examples of Work
• Use available survey records, courthouse records, and other information to review the graphical representation of ROW Lines and Property Lines prepared by others in a MicroStation (CADD) format to ensure they are accurately represented by the information available.
• Review legal descriptions describing areas to be acquired that are prepared by others to ensure descriptions are complete, accurate, follow surveying standards, can be tied to physical survey monuments, can be used in an instrument of conveyance, and that they contain sufficient information so that boundaries of acquisition can be established in the field.
• Provide training, guidance, and feedback on the establishment and representation of ROW lines, property lines, and other information on ROW plans and other documents.
• Provide training, guidance, and feedback on legal description writing to ROW employees.
• Assist other NDOT land surveyors as needed to obtain survey information, prepare survey plans, and establish land boundaries in the field.
• Assist in the interpretation of information contained in surveys, plats, and instruments of conveyance.
• Provide professional surveying opinions, guidance, and recommendations for legal staff.
• Assist in the creation and maintenance of ROW Design policies, procedures, and other information contained in Departmental publications (ROW Design manual, ROW Manual, etc.).
• Participate in project scheduling and coordination meetings to monitor project schedules and work tasks to ensure proper progress is being made, prioritize tasks, and adjust workloads and schedules as needed.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Registration as a Land Surveyor as defined by the Nebraska Board of Examiners for Land Surveyors is required. Applicants must be registered at the time of application or be able to obtain such a license within 90 days of employment. The type and amount of education and experience needed are cited in Nebraska State Statutes 81-8,117, and outlined in the following Legal Requirements section. Additional information is available from the Nebraska Board of Examiners for Land Surveyors.
PREFERRED: Experience in creation, interpretation, and the laying out of survey plats and land parcel descriptions contained in instruments of conveyance. Experience in MicroStation or other Computer Aided Drafting and Design (CADD) software. Experience in legal description writing. Experience highway right of way, and/or highway construction. Familiarity with or an understanding of how surveys relate to the practice of Right of Way design and acquisition. Familiarity with PC-based word processing, spreadsheet, PowerPoint, database, e-mail, and project management programs beneficial.
OTHER: Must have a valid driver's license. Travel (including overnight) and field work would be minimal. Regular and reliable attendance is also required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Survey law and procedures as outlined in "Manual of Instructions for the Survey of The Public Lands of the United States".
• The restoration of land and obliterated corners.
• Technical software applications related to surveying.
• Nebraska Riparian law.
• Nebraska survey laws, standards, and requirements.
• Organization, prioritization, record keeping, verbal and written communication, decision making, and project activity coordination.
• Clearly and effectively communicate with individuals of various experience, professions, and technical backgrounds.
• Communicate with others to resolve differences and convey ideas.
• Develop processes that serve the needs of the Department and align with existing procedures.
• Facilitate effective meetings or discussions to resolve project issues.
• Ability to make good decisions based upon a mixture of research, consultation, analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
• Provide training and guidance in verbal, instructional, presentation, and written forms to other employees.
• Comfortably deals with ambiguity, concepts, and complexity.
• Gain an understanding of the needs and requirements of internal and external customers to deliver the highest quality of products and services in a timely manner.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experiences.
Add your resume to our resume database that can be searched by employers looking to hire!
Stay up to date with job alerts! Customize your alerts based on a specific area, category and receive weekly updates!
Posted about 11 hours ago
Posted about 11 hours ago
Fort Collins, Colorado
Posted about 8 hours ago