This job has expired.
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing, and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Laboratory Technician will assist with routine laboratory tests and sample preparation.
Directly reports to the Genetic Testing Supervisor
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Process ELISA and Electrophoresis testing samples including planting, harvesting and sample preparation.
• Prepare solutions, gels and samples for ELISA and Electrophoresis testing.
• Utilize laboratory equipment and consumables for testing.
• Inventory media and other supplies utilized for electrophoresis and ELISA testing
• Assist in preparation of PCR testing and seed health samples as needed.
• Troubleshoot and monitor for irregularities in seed or seedling test results, media, temperatures, equipment and facilities.
• Prepare laboratory solutions according to standard formulas.
• Assist with keeping laboratory area and equipment clean and organized.
• Perform general laboratory duties.
• Insure quality and confidentiality of client and company information and take an active role in updating Quality System.
• Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Supervises others: No
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High School degree or GED
• Agricultural background.
• Experience in laboratory work.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• Language Skills: English
• Mathematical Skills: Basic
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Basic
• Computer Skills: Basic knowledge of MS Office
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced work environment.
• Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a team environment.
• Must be well organized.
• Must be able to manage numbers mentally.
• Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods.
• Must be able to regularly lift 15-30 pounds.
• Must be dependable and able to attend work regularly.
• Ability to work independently, often under time-sensitive situations, within a team environment.
• Must have excellent communication skills.
• Must be able to display a strong sense of urgency and good judgment.
• No travel required.
This job operates in a professional laboratory environment. This role routinely uses standard laboratory and office equipment
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
• Stand - Constantly
• Move or traverse - Constantly
• Sit - Occasionally
• Use hands - Constantly
• Reach with hands and arms - Constantly
• Climb or balance - None
• Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl - Frequently
• Talk/hear - Frequently
• Taste/Smell - None
• Lift/carry/push or pull - Frequently
• Lift/carry/push or pull up to 30 pounds
• Ability to see color
• No special auditory requirements
WORK CONDITIONS / EXPOSURE TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Location of the Job: Brookings, SD, USA
For Non-Exempt roles:
• Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Additional hours may be necessary occasionally based on work load.
Environmental Conditions Requirements:
• Wet or humid (non-weather) conditions - None
• Work near moving mechanical parts - Constantly
• Work in high, precarious places - None
• Fumes or airborne particles - Occasionally
• Toxic or caustic chemicals - Occasionally
• Outdoor weather conditions - None
• Extreme cold (non-weather) - Occasionally
• Extreme heat (non-weather) - Occasionally
• Risk of electrical shock - None
• Work with explosives - None
• Risk of radiation - None
• Vibration - None
• Bio-hazard - Occasionally
• Moderate to loud noise (examples: light manufacturing environment, indoor planting equipment, foot traffic)
Other Physical/Work Environmental Exposures: