Position OverviewFacilities Services supports KU's mission of learning, scholarship, and creative endeavor by operating and maintaining the University's physical plant and grounds. Work involves planting, cultivating, transplanting and caring for ornamental trees, shrubs and flowers and all other aspects of general landscape and grounds care on campus. Work requires working independently and/or as a lead worker as well as operating work issued vehicles, forklifts, pallet jacks, mowers, string trimmers and other mechanized equipment.
If you are looking for a rewarding and dynamic career look no farther than the University of Kansas. KU offers great benefits to employees with paid vacation & sick leave, paid holidays, retirement program, medical & dental insurance as well as life insurance. KU also offers educational opportunities for employees.
KU is a great place to work!
Schedule: Monday to Friday 6:30 AM to 3 PM Job Description60% Horticultural maintenance: Prunes and trims plantings to acquire desired effect, to remove diseased or dead parts, to contain size of plantings, etc. Acts as lead worker with crews in planting, maintaining and treating lawns, flower beds and other horticultural plantings. Uses chemical treatments on plantings for pest and disease control as instructed. Inspects areas to determine the need for work to be done and directs efforts accordingly.
30% Equipment Operation: Operates small to medium sized equipment such as mowers, string trimmers, snow blowers, tractors, trucks, and other equipment used in landscape operations and snow removal.
5% Coordinates work with Landscape Technicians and other crew members and keeps supervisor informed about work in progress. Performs equipment maintenance on sprayer units, irrigation systems and other horticultural equipment.
5% Performs other work as assigned. Position Requirements
- Reach, grasp, lift, carry, and place moderately heavy loads frequently, and heavy loads occasionally (50 lbs) with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work in temperature extremes, both hot and cold - typically outdoors.
- Report to work during declared periods of inclement weather.
- Work overtime and respond to after-hours emergencies as needed.
- Must pass internal "horticultural knowledge evaluation" job expectation goals within the first 6 months of appointment.
- High School diploma or completion of G.E.D. equivalency.
- One (1) year of experience in landscape and/or horticultural work.
- Ability to obtain Kansas Pesticide license and certification within the first 6 months of employment.
- Must have a valid driver's license by the time of hire and throughout the term of employment.
- Previous experience that required the use of computer or handheld devices to communicate & perform work activities.
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, techniques and tools used in the planting and care of common Midwestern turf care, trees, shrubs, grasses and other ornamental plants.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of working with power tools and equipment in the landscape and grounds care trade.
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, techniques and tools needed to correctly identify, control and prevent plant diseases and insects.
- Possession of Kansas Pesticide license at the time of hire.
- Experience working in a college, university or multi-building campus setting.
Additional Candidate InstructionsPlease include a resume addressing how you meet the required qualifications, cover letter, and the names and contact information to three references with your completed online application.
Application review will begin on Tuesday July 6th and continue until a qualified pool of applicants is identified.
Contact Information to ApplicantsShawn Harding email@example.com
785-864-4535 Advertised Salary Rangestarting 31,200 Work ScheduleMonday to Friday 6:30 AM to 3 PM Application Review Begins06-Jul-2021 Anticipated Start Date19-Jul-2021
This job has expired.