Potomac State College (WVU Keyser), part of the West Virginia University system of campuses, located in Keyser, WV is seeking applications for a Landscape Worker.
The primary purpose of this position is to maintain the exterior appearance of Potomac State College campus to ensure a neat. clean, aesthetically pleasing environment. Areas of responsibility include exterior of buildings, lawns. planting beds, and general campus grounds following established standard procedures, techniques. and safety requirements. Other work as assigned to support general campus functions and needs.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs
Pay Grade: 10What you'll do:Grounds
- Maintain lawn by mowing, seeding, and aerating turf.
- Trim and edge around trees, flower beds, buildings and walkways.
- Water lawns, shrubs, and ornamental gardens as needed during extended dry periods.
- Report pest problems on turf, ground covers, flowers, trees, and shrubs.
- Collect soil samples as needed for testing to determine mineral composition to ensure adequate support for plants and greenery. Apply compounds and materials to correct deficiencies as assigned.
- Prepare soil for plantings by tilling and/or digging, adding topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, compost. vermiculite, and other additives to condition the soil.
- Plant ornamentals, flowers, shrubs, and trees following recommended depth and spacing to enhance survival rate.
- Trim and prune shrubs and trees; weed and thin ornamentals to shape and improve growth as assigned.
- Remove leaves from beds and grounds as assigned.
- Assist with landscape construction as assigned. Work may include operating jackhammers to remove broken sidewalks; mixing, pouring, and spreading concrete, asphalt, or gravel; and digging holes and/or trenches for irrigation and drainage systems.
- Daily remove trash from receptacles across campus and replace liners and lids to control litter.
- Pick up trash and debris from around campus and dispose of property.
- Ensure trash and recycling bins are stored and used property. Move items that are in the wrong bin to the correct bin as needed.
- Clear snow and/or ice from sidewalks. steps, road, and parking lots as assigned. Equipment may include blowers, shovels, power broom. tractor, or truck.
- Spread deicers and abrasives as needed. Application may be hand spread, small portable spreader, large mounted spreader, or by other means determined by supervisor.
- Must be available by phone 24/7 to respond to emergency situations.
- Work as part of a cohesive team to provide excellent service, protect University resources, and build positive working relationships with other team members, students, faculty, staff, vendors, and neighbors.
- Assist with moving furniture, equipment, and special event set-ups as assigned.
- Receive deliveries as needed, checking delivery ticket against items received, unload trucks, deliver items across campus, and ensures paperwork is placed in the correct office bin.
- Use equipment following best practice standards to ensure safe handling and equipment maintenance.
- Assist in maintaining equipment by cleaning. refurbishing, and storing securely
- Recommend to supervisor all needs for materials and parts.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or directed.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Education/training in an agriculture/horticulture program preferred.
- 1 year of previous landscaping experience
- Preference shown to candidate with a WV biocide applicator license
- Demonstrated knowledge of grounds keeping procedures.
- Working knowledge of the materials. methods, tools. equipment, and occupational hazards and safety related to grounds
- Demonstrated ability to use and operate all appropriate hand and power tool and equipment.
- Ability to read and write in English and perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Ability to comprehend and follow oral and written instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer
This job has expired.
- Must be able to stand or walk on varying terrain for long hours
- Must be able to work for long hours in all weather conditions
- Must be able to lift weights in excess of 50 pounds
- Will be exposed to dust, exhaust fumes, poisonous plants and potentially hazardous wastes
- Must be able to tolerate bending, reaching, kneeling, stretching, climbing, and sitting on grounds or while using grounds
- equipment for long periods of time- Must have good hand / eye coordination to use possibly dangerous tools such as power saws, pruning equipment, and weed eaters.
- Must be able to exercise excellent judgement in the utilization of dangerious grounds equipment over varied terrain, in varying weather conditions and around customers