GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the direction of a technical supervisor, incumbent performs breast imaging procedures in assigned areas at a technical level not requiring constant supervision. Performs a variety of technical procedures that will require independent judgement, with ingenuity and initiative to apply ionizing radiation for breast imaging diagnosis. Assumes responsibility for designated areas or procedures as required. Staff will be required to float among radiology clinics associated with BWH as needed. These sites are, but not limited to: 75 Francis Street Boston MA.,850 Boylston Street, Chestnut Hill Ma, and 20 Patriot Place Foxborough, Ma.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs duties such as transporting, transferring, immobilizing and positioning patients.
- Calculates and selects proper technical factors; operates equipment as required; process films by automatic processing; properly identifies films with patient's ID and appropriate markers in order to obtaining quality diagnostic radiographs.
- Provides radiation protection in accordance with prescribed safety standards; assists physicians in administering contrast media, practices sterile technique, and performs first aid when necessary. Proper labeling of tissue samples.
- Instructs, advises and assists Rad Tech students in performing mammographic exams, sterile technique, proper stocking of supplies in radiographic rooms.
- Assists in research and Quality Improvement projects.
- Uses radiology information system (RIS) to keep patient data up-to-date such as scheduling. tracking, along with appropriate Film Library responsibilities.
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of assigned areas.
- Rotates within department as required; cooperates with all personnel, promoting harmony within department.
- Explains exam to patient taking into consideration physical and emotional needs; maintaining ethical standards (patient confidentiality, professional conduct, etc.)
- Attends staff meetings, in-services, and maintains appropriate CEU's in accordance with Massachusetts State licensure and A.R.R.T. requirements.
- Orients new technologists to mammographic procedures and department policies.
- Notifies appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs needed.
- Collects supplies from designated store room, stocks and maintains adequate supplies for assigned area.
- Uses independent judgement, ingenuity and initiative under pressure in a variety of situations without constant supervision.
- Performs other related duties as necessary (reception, Film Library and Escort functions).
- Performs quality control tests as needed to conform to all mammography regulations.
- Performs all aspects of breast imaging including mammography, ultrasound, wire localizations, ductograms, cyst aspiration, core biopsies including sterotactic and ultrasound guided.
- Collecting and entering patient data pertaining to mammography module.
- Rotates within department, divisions and all off-site clinics, by shifts as required and needed; cooperates with all personnel, promoting harmony within department
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Must have graduated from an approved school of Radiologic Technology.
- Must possess a valid Massachusetts license as a Radiologic Technologist in the category of Radiography.
- To perform mammography, the incumbent must possess a valid Massachusetts license in the category of mammography in addition to radiography.
- Must be registered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists or equivalent
- 2-3 years' experience as a radiologic technologist.
- Must be knowledgeable with quality control tests that need to be performed as well as MQSA, ARC and Mass State mammography regulations.
- Must be able to operate and utilize all types of x-ray and related equipment and supplies.
- Must effectively use interpersonal skills to deal with patients and fellow employees who may be under physical and/or emotional stress.
- Must be able to read and interpret requisition forms.
- Must be able to comprehend complex information and use independent judgement in a variety of situations.
- Must be able to use independent judgement in a variety of situations, without constant supervision.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in order to transfer knowledge and skills to students and new employees.
- Comprehensive understanding of computer operations relating to Digital Imaging, the Radiology Information System (IDXRad), Outpatient Order entry Systems (Percipio) and all Hospital Information Systems that integrate with the Department of Radiology relating to patient information and management (BICS, Order entry systems, PACS ect.).
- Must be prepared to work overtime, holidays and weekends as needed.
- Works in a large open area in Mammography which is noisy and tends to have extreme temperature and humidity variations.
- Minimal exposure to ionizing radiation, when using proper safety procedures.
- Continuous standing and lifting.
- Exposure to human waste and disease.
- Considerable stress from dealing with a wide variety of hospital staff, patients and families.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
This job has expired.