Mueller Water Products is the nation's leading manufacturer of flow control devices for the water and gas distribution industries and has an immediate opening for a Materials Manager in our newest Kimball, TN facility. For over 160 years MWP's manufacturing commitment has ensured one of the world's most precious resources, clean drinking water, reaches millions of people daily. Come be a part of something that sustains and enriches the lives of every human being.
Mueller's manufacturing commitment ensures one of the world's most precious resources, clean drinking water, reaches millions of people daily. Come be a part of something that sustains and enriches the lives of every human being. As Materials Manager, you will provide and support critical functions including purchasing and inventory control. The Materials Manager works with supply chain and manufacturing to support lean inventory and procurement strategies for purchased material. The Materials Manager is tasked with ensuring all purchased materials, goods, and services are in timely support of the planned business needs and master production schedule. This individual will maintain key relationships with stakeholders across the organization in manufacturing, supply chain, sales, and plant management as well as with customers outside of the organization. You think "outside of the box" to drive efficiency and improvement while also maintaining excellent relationships across the organization and exercising deliberate oversight for your department.
- Oversee facility Buying, Planning, Scheduling, Inventory Management, Material Handling, Shipping, and Receiving in our effort to support our customers as a world-class facility.
- Own and implement strategies to improve the operations of the materials department.
- Ensure seamless communication and feedback with company sales team and other functional groups.
- Root cause problem solving to drive process improvement.
- Ensure accurate and timely development of schedules for all shop floor processes.
- Own and update metrics to communicate health and challenges of Buying, Planning, Scheduling Inventory Management, Material Handling, Shipping, and Receiving groups.
- Provide recommendations regarding materials to other functional groups to help the facility drive towards excellence. Provide Plant Manager with guidance surrounding materials challenges.
- Oversee and advise on maintenance of ideal inventory levels to ensure on-time deliveries, while maximizing turns, and minimizing carrying costs.
- Manages and reviews inputs (Sales, Inventory, Operations, and Inventory Planning process (SIOP), cycle counting, physical inventory, profit planning) and controls (min./max. levels, lead times, etc.) of the ordering process to ensure inventory levels (purchase parts, WIP, finished goods, consignment, in-transit etc.) meet division and corporate expectations
- Oversee daily operation of offsite warehouse to support the primary function of the plant as well as direct shipments to customers.
- Demonstrated success in leading large functional teams to meet challenging goals
- Experience using an ERP system to efficiently plan and procure material
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Able to communicate at various levels within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to successfully achieve goals through influence at high levels of an organization
- Ability to consistently provide positive and negative feedback to external process partners and peers in written and verbal form.
- Comfort in expediting material and implementing solutions to short-term and long-term supply issues.
- Ability to identify employees' strengths and limitations and give both spectrums of feedback (positive and constructive)
- Have influence with peers at staff level to understand & achieve alignment and common goal(s)
- Efficient in 5S, Standard Work, Value Stream-Mapping
- Experience with risk awareness and mitigation
- Advanced financial acumen
- Demonstrated past of developing and managing KPIs and metrics
- Ability to drive continuous improvement and eliminate waste
- Experience with material and information flow
- Experience with PFEP and choosing correct replenishment plans
- Demonstrated proficiency in 6 Sigma continuous improvement methodology
- BS/BA degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Business, or technical field
- 10-15 years supervisory/managerial experience
- Demonstrated experience leading large manufacturing teams to success through strategy and wide degree of creative latitude
- Successfully managed purchasing and planning of 10000+ SKUs
- Global acumen (how business is done globally), global supplier experience
- Documented turn-around of employee situations (marginal to meeting expectations)
- Experience with enterprise-sourcing purchasing systems
- Advanced Excel and Microsoft Suite skills
- Experience leading and strategizing in a start-up environment
- Master's Degree in related discipline
- JDE E1 or similar ERP experience
- APICS, CPP, CPPM, PMP professional certifications
- Ability to remain in stationary position or standing position for prolonged periods and alternate between
- Ability to repeat gross or fine manipulation that may include the use of wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including, but not limited to, safety glasses, steel-toed or metatarsal-guarded shoes, and/or earplugs, while working in an industrial and/or manufacturing environment.
- Ability to constantly communicate with others to exchange information in person, via phone, or via use of computer.
- Ability to occasionally lift, carry, push, pull, or move objects up to 25 pounds in weight in all directions
- Ability to occasionally reach overhead or at or below shoulder level
- Ability to occasionally stoop, crouch, or kneel
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other category protected by law.