Do you have expertise in, and curiosity for leading Medical Affairs teams in Oncology? Apply your experience to changing the way cancer is treated at AstraZeneca, a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines. Help to advance our incredible pipeline by applying expertise and accelerating our pathway to finding a cure. A dedicated Oncology Business Unit (OBU), this is the place to build a best-in-class career. AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm with the bold ambition to eliminate cancer as a cause of death. We are proud to work on ground-breaking science with one of the broadest and deepest Oncology pipelines in the business.
This is a field-based role, reporting to the Head, Center for Innovations and Medical Excellence. The National Field Medical Director of the Oncology Scientific Partnership Medical Director (NFMD Onc SPMD) team -is a member of the Center for Innovations and Medical Excellence group within the US Medical Affairs team. In this role, you will hire, develop, and lead a national team of Scientific Partnership Medical Directors, whose primary focus is to provide medical partnership with our National Oncology Account Director team as well as work build and execute systems/institution specific plans for key sites and networks focusing on scientific, clinical, and evidence generation.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and lead a high performing team of SPMDs with a clear strategy plan including an enterprise-wide view that reflects the USMA, R&D, and oncology franchise objectives at assigned health systems
- Medical partner to NOAD leadership for priority US-based health systems and primary medical contact for leadership
- Lead through influence when collaborating with other internal stakeholders at AstraZeneca; including but not limited to HEOR, RWE, MSLs, R&D, External Alliances, and Precision Medicine
- Develop strong medical relationships across AstraZeneca functions and key scientific decision makers.
- Monitor and measure performance metrics and provide direction and timely feedback to SPMDs regarding these metrics; monitor and measure field performance metrics and identify trends at the team level.
- Clearly communicate the impact of the SPMD teams to senior leaders across the organization.
- Ensure SPMD compliance with AZ Compliance, SOPs and US laws & regulations for all activities, in line with the principles of Scientific Engagement, the promotional code and field medical practice policies.
- Identify and quantify medical budget with 3 year look forward including innovation projects and enterprise-wide initiative that further the AZ mission and values.
- Advanced Degree required in a relevant scientific field; Doctorate in Science, Medicine, Pharmacy or equivalent area preferred
- 8+ years of oncology specific experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience in oncology (Basic, Translational, Early Dev Research or Medical Affairs)
- Thorough knowledge of the US clinical oncology clinical landscape
- Strong interpersonal and project management skills
- Strategic influencing and matrix leadership skills to engage internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment across medical and commercial non-sales functions
- Working knowledge of US healthcare landscape, including US regulatory and compliance requirements
- Advanced Scientific degree
- Previous leadership experience in a strategy-setting role in the pharmaceutical industry
- Previous experience leading a field medical team is preferred
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.