Department of Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering (ISE) in The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for an Office Manager position. This position is responsible for managing the ISE Academic Affairs Office, supporting the activity of the Graduate Studies, and Professional and Online Education offices (ISE GS/POE).
Duties & Responsibilities
Manage the functions of the Academic Affairs Office
Support Associate Head of Graduate Studies and Director Professional & Online Education
- Serve as the office's front line and traffic manager for student, faculty, and public interaction; independently address routine student questions, including answering phone calls and responding to walk-in traffic; direct individuals to appropriate resources as needed.
- Oversee the ISE GS/POE email accounts, answering inquiries and escalating to appropriate individuals, as needed. Develop templates to respond to common/standard inquiries.
- Coordinate/attend events associated with ISE GS/POE such as, but not limited to, information sessions, recruiting events, welcome events, MERGE/ASPIRE visits and appreciation events. This includes determining who should be in attendance, sending invitations, managing attendance, room reservations and catering orders, etc.
- Conduct document reviews, including academic plans, thesis reviews, graduation checklists, and transcripts (official versus unofficial) based on guidance from ISE GS/POE staff and/or the Graduate College. Follow up with students as necessary to confirm completion.
- Pull data and create admissions reports as requested for graduate committee review. Work in Admissions database to update student records as needed.
- Communicate with faculty regarding deadlines and other academic related activities.
- Based on direction from ISE GS/POE staff, update documentation and notify all relevant parties of policy/procedural changes related to ISE degrees. Maintain operational role related to using the P-Card and T-Card (Cardholder).
- Plan logistics for Graduate Seminar Series including making hotel accommodations, meal reservations, contacting speakers for information, creating itineraries and fliers, and maintaining student information in course management website (Canvas, etc).
- Collaborate with other ISE Academic Programs Staff and faculty for preparation of classroom and final exam schedules and liaise with Facilities Management and Scheduling (FMS) regarding graduate programs classroom usage and special event reservations.
- Provide clerical support including oversight and communication of financial transactions.
- Maintain confidential student records and related systems.
Manage registration and class schedule
- Compose and review correspondence, memos, and other communications as requested.
- Filter meeting requests and take appropriate actions when needed.
Other Duties as Assigned Position Requirements & Qualifications Required:
- Utilize Banner for student schedules and records, instruction forms, checklists for faculty, and semester elective listings.
- Maintain student enrollment and complete Banner registration and enrollment transactions as required.
- Monitor and provide updates on enrollment information to the ISE GS/POE office and departmental leadership, as requested.
- Instruct and direct faculty regarding grade entry and faculty grade correction.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two (2) years (24 months) of work experience comparable to the third level of this series.
- Strong organizational work skills, defining tasks, prioritizing assignments, and following through on all projects independently.
- Possesses superior communication and presentation skills and the ability to foster positive relations with multiple, diverse constituencies.
- Have a student-centered philosophy and the ability to work with a diverse student population.
- Strong customer focus required - ability to listen attentively, understand and respond positively.
- High proficiency with web-based resources, spreadsheet and presentation software (Microsoft & Adobe applications), social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.) and University applications (Banner, Grad Apps, Slate, TEM, Webtools, iBuy, Astra).
- Ability to work under pressure, with the flexibly to respond to changing priorities and fluctuating workloads.
- Strong problem-solving skills to be able to complete difficult tasks. Careful focus, attention to accuracy and detail are essential. Ability to see all tasks through to a timely resolution.
- Ability to exercise judgment and provide comprehensive documentation.
- Understand when to elevate issues as necessary and collaborate with the supervisor to assist with prioritizing workload or request back up assistance.
- A self-starter and comfortable with a fast-paced work environment.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service Office Manager position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after March 31, 2023. The minimum salary is $21.82/hr, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx . Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on March 30, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. If required by the position, transcripts or other documentation of credentials are to be provided no later than the first day of employment. For further information about this specific position, please contact Joya Murphy at email@example.com. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify .
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal , or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . Requisition ID
: 1016099 Job Category
: Administrative Support Apply at: