Office Support Specialist - Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology
Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology
We are unable to sponsor an employment VISA or take over sponsorship for an employment VISA for this position now and in the future.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States with no VISA sponsorship.
This position provides the primary clerical support to one or more research themes (faculty, visiting scientists, postdoctoral associates, and graduate and undergraduate students) in the Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology.
Duties & Responsibilities
Additional Physical Demands
- Maintains the calendar for theme leader and other faculty. Schedules meetings and appointments and prepares the necessary materials. Responsible for maintaining theme conference room schedule and use.
- Coordinates unit operational projects, meetings, conferences and/or travel arrangements and monitors and expedites progress. Accompanies the principal(s) and /or attends meetings participating as requested and assumes responsibility for composing and dispatching notices to all participants.
- Serves as a liaison and resource person for the research theme(s) with internal and external units of the University. Keyboards correspondence at the direction of the faculty. In some cases, this includes confidential and/or technical material.
- Plans, organizes, assigns, and reviews the work of the unit's administrative office support staff and participates in their selection, training, supervision and evaluation.
- Utilizes the University's electronic expense management system to prepare expense reports for reimbursements, honoraria, invoice payments and other items as required
- Orders office supplies, laboratory equipment, and other business purchases as requested utilizing the University's purchasing card (P-Card) or iBuy ordering system.
- Maintains records of theme fiscal transactions and budget statements
- Reviews and distributes incoming mail for research theme. Coordinates and schedules package/freight shipments
- Maintains research theme files using electronic Box folders
- Monitors theme website pages and notifies IGB Communications of any needed changes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements: The work involves sitting for long periods of time.
Work Environment: The employee works in a semi-private office which is frequently visited by faculty distributing work and instructions for each job, graduate and undergraduate students requiring help or information, fellow non-academic employees from various floors who also need help or information and occasionally the general public needing assistance. Complicated, stressful situations, which require the exercise of tact, poise, expertise, and good judgment, are frequently encountered. Minimum Qualifications
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Any one or combination totaling two (2) years (24 months) from the categories below:
A. College coursework in any curriculum, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
30 semester hours equals one (1) year (12 months)
Associate's Degree (60 semester hours) equals eighteen months (18 months)
90 semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)
Bachelor's Degree (120 semester hours) equals three (3) years (36 months)
B. Work experience performing office/clerical activities, including the use of computer systems.
3. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to the second level of this series.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, letter generation, report formulation, e-mail communication (both on-campus and off-campus).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel to prepare reimbursement forms, budgeting documents and the like.
- Ability to act with initiative and make independent decisions with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Skills, including sentence structure, grammar, spelling and punctuation required to enable the employee to perform corrections of those items in letters, manuscripts, etc., for faculty and students for whom English is a second language.
- Ability to communicate with and obtain cooperation from personnel in other offices.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to plan work with changing priorities and work under pressure.
- Ability to act with discretion when handling sensitive or confidential information.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in fulfilling job obligations.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 3243 - Office Support Specialist position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 6/12/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx . Application Procedures & Deadline Information
We are unable to sponsor an employment VISA or take over sponsorship for an employment VISA for this position now and in the future. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States with no VISA sponsorship.
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on October 4, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. If required by the position, transcripts or other documentation of credentials are to be provided no later than the first day of employment. For further information about this specific position, please contact Jana Lenz at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify .
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal , or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com .Requisition ID
: 1020118 Job Category
: Administrative Support Apply at:
This job has expired.