Newton-Wellesley Sports Medicine is a growing practice that provides clinic-based evaluation and treatment of sports-related injuries, as well as off-site care as medical provider for college, high school and professional athletes. Newton-Wellesley Sports Medicine is the official medical provider of Boston College Athletics, Wellesley College Athletics, and St. Mark's School in Southborough, MA.
This per diem PA role will cover evenings, weekends and occasional holidays for our Ortho Walk-in Clinics. In addition, this per diem role would provide coverage as needed for vacations, sick time, etc. The walk-in orthopedic clinics cares for patients Monday-Friday, 8a - 8p, and Saturday-Sunday, 8a - 1p, at 978 Worcester Street, Wellesley, MA. Additional day shift hours may also be available.
Under the clinical supervisionof the Medical Director and lead walk-in clinic PA, and operational direction of the Practice Manager, the Physician Assistant participates in the care of patients in the practice. The Physician Assistant coordinates and participates in treatment, ensures referral to physician for follow up, anddocuments patient care. Procedural care may include casting,bracing, and fracture stabilization.
- Primarily works in the walk-in clinic. Ensures completion of Daily Opening and Closing Procedures.
- Understands and promotes overall goals of walk-in care program and its integration with NW Sports Medicine.
- Performs initial evaluation of orthopedic patients; obtains and documents appropriate and comprehensive health histories; performs and documents appropriate and comprehensive physical examinations.
- Orders and interprets x-rays, MRIs and other diagnostic tests.
- Serves as team leader during shift, supervising front desk and clinic support staff on location.
- Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures including but not limited to
- wound care/debridement
- tube/drain insertion, care or removal
- suturing/suture removal
- splint, brace or cast application or removal
- medication administration and the injection of steroid and anesthetic agents
- Determines the treatment plan and follow-up schedule; consults with appropriate resources as needed, and recommends to appropriate specialty. Documents the treatment plan and revisions and writes appropriate orders.
- Coordinates elements of the treatment plan and assesses, evaluates and documents patient progress. Reviews patient care management issues with physician team.
- Records patients' treatment, response and progress notes and enters orders in EMR in accordance with Medical Staff policies.
- Provides first-level response to acute patient complications and emergencies and initiates appropriate measures.
- Educates, instructs and counsels patients and families. Provides psychological, emotional and informational support to patients and families. Communicates patient needs to appropriate team members.
- Demonstrates timeliness and reliability with respect to work hours. Accepts responsibility and accountability for his/her actions in delivering patient care.
- Collaborates and communicates effectively and establishes good rapport with all levels of personnel.
- Certificate of registration from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Registration of Physician Assistants.
- Five years experience in the specialty of Orthopedics preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities and strong interpretative skills for integrating information from the patient history, physical exam, and diagnostic data to be able to formulate a differential diagnosis and subsequent treatment plan for surgical patients in both elective and emergent situations.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Evidence of continued education and professional development.
- CPR (BLS) certification required.
EEO Statement Newton
- Knowledge of the special needs and behaviors of infant, child, adolescent, adult, older adult patients preferred.
will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees are not discriminated against because of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran or active military status, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation.
This job has expired.