GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Summarize the nature and level of work performed.Perform duties under moderate supervision with intermediate to advanced proficiency in administrative skills. Act as a super user for scheduling, registration, and billing systems. Provide training and assistance to others in these areas. May perform more complex or specialized functions (i.e. surgical scheduling) at highest competency level. Utilize knowledge of HMO's, managed care and other third party insurers, and troubleshoots insurance issues as appropriate. Greets and assists patients when they check in & out of the clinic in a professional manner. Obtains or reviews their demographics & fiscal information Collects Co-Pays, enters payments and closes batch at the end of the dayPrepares necessary documentation for scheduled patient appointmentsAnswers patient's telephone calls, correctly processing information or answering questions or solving problems. Schedules all appointments including ancillary testingCommunications effectively and in a professional manner with patients regarding wait timesMaintains general reception area, ensuring cleanliness and organization.Obtains prior authorizations.Adheres to Joint Commission and Department of Public Health regulations as well hospital and Departmental policies, such as: Attendance, Co-Pay and Dress Code.Performs other duties and tasks as requested by supervisors to ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility, maintaining flexibility regarding the occasional need for the staff coverage in other areas of the facility Fulfilling Responsibilities to Patients: Answers patient's telephone calls, correctly processing information on ambulatory appointment scheduling or answering questions or solving problems. If necessary, transfers call to an appropriate person or department to assist the patient.Obtain or reviews all patient demographic information, insurance information and referral numbers.Calls patients from waiting area by addressing them as Mr., Ms. or Mrs. introduces him/her self and provides explanation as to the process.Accurately records all data and maintains necessary records or files relating to clinical care issues.Accurately and efficiently collects co-pay following all policies and procedures set in place Assists patients in a manner that promotes the perception that the staff is courteous, efficient and interested in their healthcare. Treats all patients with dignity and professionalism.Acquires all materials necessary for the patient visit including medial records and x-rays.Answers telephone calls professionally and courteously within five rings introducing the practice as requested by the division manager. Whether on the phone or in person treats all patients and internal customers with dignity and professionalism.Accurately completes and processes necessary test requisitions for patient care.Accurately and efficiently obtains prior authorizationsFulfilling Responsibilities to PhysiciansMaintains a professional relationship with all physiciansInforms physicians of patient volume and wait time during sessionsCommunicates with patients regarding delays in schedule.Answers telephone calls correctly processing all patient information for messages, appointments, or patient registration.Obtains or reviews all patient demographics, insurance and referral information as necessary.Responsible for cash collection following guidelines as provided by the Co-Pay Cash Collection procedure.Completes physician's orders/requests accurately.Maintain and adjusts physicians schedules as requested.Interacting with Fellow EmployeesWorks to establish and maintain good working relationships with fellow employees.Treats all co-workers and internal customers with dignity and professionalism.Works cooperatively with fellow employees to solve problems and enhance the smooth and efficient flow of the practice.Provides coverage for responsibilities of co-workers when assigned or as need arises.Interacting with Supervisory or Administrative StaffFollows instructions of and assists supervisory staff as required.Maintains good communication and reports problems to supervisor.Other:
Performs all secretarial and receptionist functions necessary for the complete and efficient management of patients through the ambulatory facility, including the acquisition of necessary patient-care and records. Using the Department of Medicine's standard greeting and appropriate telephone etiquette, answers all incoming telephone lines in a timely fashion. Adheres to divisional and departmental service standards related to telephone access to ensure that patients, referring physicians, and other customers can easily access the Practice by telephone. As centralized Department of Medicine staff you will be cross trained within the Dept. of Medicine specialties Divisions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
Performs all other duties or tasks as assigned or requested by the supervisor to ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility.Qualifications
• High school diploma or GED required; post-high school education preferred.
• Minimum one year of applicable work experience required.
• Additional training in office systems preferred. SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical skills required:
• Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
• Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
• Ability to use phone system (answer and screen calls, put on hold), answer routine questions, and give routine information.
• Ability to interpret information as appropriate, answer routine questions in the most professional manner, and communicate in a professional, courteous, clear, and concise manner.
• Ability to manage work processes in a neat and orderly way and to sort and alphabetize.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, follow established protocols, and work within systems.
• Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo, or interoffice note) and to take complete and accurate messages.
• Ability to type and enter data at an entry level. Entry level understanding of applicable systems.
• Understanding of the appropriate use and importance of related forms.
• Basic understanding and use of medical terminology.
• Basic comprehension of insurance types and referral process.
• Basic comprehension of registration and fiscal information.
• Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State, and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA. WORKING CONDITIONS:
Hospital based ambulatory practice. Normal patient environments where there are some exposures to communicable diseases, unpleasant odors, needle, and blood products.HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
This job has expired.