Product Owner, BigFuture
College Board - BigFuture
About the Team
BigFuture is committed to supporting all students to make the right first step post high school. Through BigFuture, we reach over 7 million students each year as the leading free resource for College, Scholarship, and Career Exploration. BigFuture allows students to demystify the college going process, unlock options to afford college, and explore careers that connect to their skills and interests. In addition to the student facing platform, the team manages a service that fosters rich interactions between students and the over 1,500 Higher Education institutions.
The BigFuture College Profiles team focuses on engaging postsecondary institutions to provide vital information that supports students in their college planning journey. Our products help postsecondary institutions find, connect with, and recruit students to apply and ultimately enroll in their programs. As the Higher Ed landscape continues to evolve, this is a unique opportunity to own the evolution of an innovative product that connects colleges to students looking to further their learning and career aspirations.
About the Opportunity
As a Product Owner, you drive the execution of the product vision and roadmap, collaborating with Product Managers, Design, and Development teams. You are responsible for deeply understanding the product market and customer base to inform and drive product decisions aligned to the portfolio OKRs. As a servant leader, you will successfully develop close relationships with your design and development partners to make and deliver great products for our users. Your mission is to help team members understand product development priorities, improve design/development practices, and enhance team output. You will do so by teaching, implementing, and supporting UX design thinking and various UX research methodologies in harmony with agile principles and best practices for successful product delivery.
In this role, you will:
- Work with the Product Manager to deliver the highest priority features on the product roadmap that are aligned to the product vision and organizational priorities.
- Develop sprint and deployment plans aligned to our product's go-to-market strategy, defining feature set releases that deliver value to our customers.
- Coordinate work between dual-track design and development agile teams that are geographically dispersed.
- Document requirements and acceptance criteria for features, epics, and stories. The product team should contribute to the writing, but the PO owns accepting the story.
- Own the backlog, maintain consistent prioritization of work, and facilitate backlog refinement with the team.
- Attend and actively participate in ceremonies such as sprint planning, daily scrum, sprint review/demo, retrospective ceremonies.
- Report up and out on initiative health and risks, triaging issues when needed, and developing a regular cadence of communications.
- Collaborate with Product Manager(s) to gather and monitor data on product usage and user behaviors to inform prioritization of features.
- Work with the team to identify and execute upon opportunities for continuous improvement of team dynamics, enjoyment, and performance in an environment of collaboration and innovation.
- Collaborate with Design Research to lead ongoing user interviews, usability tests, A/B tests, etc. and share key findings with the team(s).
- Work with internal stakeholders such as Accessibility, Customer Service, Cloud Excellence, Communications, Data Governance, Legal, LEvR (Learning, Evaluation, and Research), Information Security, Marketing, and Risk Management to capture relevant requirements and priorities to inform the product design and architecture.
- 5+ years relevant experience: working as a Product Owner (strongly preferred) or working in a related role with overlap into this field (e.g., Business Analyst, UX lead).
- Experience defining and documenting product requirements into small, well-articulated, and valuable deliverablesand experience with Agile/Scrum practices.
- Experience working with integrated product teams, managing backlogs for UX/design and development collectively.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven success leading the full digital product development lifecycle with a proven track record in delivering digital products that generate substantial value.
- Ability to complete complex tasks on short deadlines and in a fast-past environment.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required.
- Ability to travel less than 25%
Preferably, you have:
About Our Culture
- Experience working as a Product Owner for a B2B product.
- Experience working within a Lean-agile software product developmentculture.
- Experience with a varietyof business analysis toolsand techniquesto aid in the breakdown of large chunks of work, elicit requirements, or decision-making.
- Experience distilling data to inform key decisions.
- Able to derive actionable insights from customer usage data.
- Experience designing and communicating Objectives and Key Results (OKRs).
- Practical experience with A/B or multivariate testing.
- Experience creating business cases and receiving buy-in from senior leadership.
Our community matters, and we strive to practice and improve our culture daily. Here are some headlines:
About College Board
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year.
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard.
- We welcome staff to join any or all six of our affinity groups: ARISE (Alliance for Asian Retention, Inclusion, Success, and Engagement; DIASPORA (Alliance for Pan-African Success and Achievement); Pride (alliance for LGBTQ+ staff and allies); Resilience (alliance for Native staff and advocates); SALSA (Staff Alliance for Latinx Success and Achievement); and WIN (Women's Impact Network).
- We value learning and growth; we offer formal and informal ways to lead through your superpowers, sharpen your strengths, and meet your development goals.
- We know that our impact is strongest together. Our College Board Cares program offers all staff up to $1,000 annual match against partner non-profit organizations.
- We offer a transparent approach to promotions and merit raises, annual performance-based bonuses, and how to grow your career here over time.
College Board is a mission-driven not-for-profit organization that connects students to college success and opportunity. Founded in 1900, College Board was created to expand access to higher education. Today, the membership association is made up of over 6,000 of the world's leading educational institutions and is dedicated to promoting excellence and equity in education. Each year, College Board helps more than seven million students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success-including the SAT®, the Advanced Placement® Program, and BigFuture®. The organization also serves the education community through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators, and schools. Benefits and Compensation
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package that includes four weeks of paid time off, an organization-wide week-long winter break, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave for everyone, fertility benefits, remote work from anywhere in the country, medical/dental/vision/pet insurance, generous rewards compensation plan, and ongoing professional development and training. Salary is commensurate with experience and work location.EEOC statement
College Board is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
This job has expired.