West Virginia University Research Corporation is currently accepting applications for a Pharmacy Technician with the School of Pharmacy.
About the Opportunity
As a Pharmacy Technician, you will support the day-to-day operations of the Safe & Effective Management of Pain Program (SEMPP) and Rational Drug Therapy Program’s WV ADHD Guideline Project. You will prepare prior authorization (PA) case reviews for patients selected by the SEMPP criteria for review. In addition, you will work with and assist the SEMPP pharmacist(s) in the overall process of conducting enriched patient case prior authorization reviews including, but not limited to explaining the scope, needs, and intentions of the SEMPP program to those external to the program, gathering medication and health background information and documenting such information for preparation of the PA case reviews, patient and/or prescriber follow-up, metric and data organizing and reporting, and administrative duties.
The Safe & Effective Management of Pain Program (SEMPP) is a coordinated care program developed by the WVU School of Pharmacy for patients on chronic opioid therapy. SEMPP was developed for West Virginia healthcare insurers, while having foundational support via a CDC Prescription Drug Overdose (PDO) Overdose to Action (OD2A) in conjunction with the WV Department of Health & Human Resources. In addition, a newer project regarding ADHD Guidelines has been initiated at Rational Drug Therapy Program via Title V Funding in conjunction with the WV Department of Health & Human Resources.
The role of the Pharmacy Technician is vital to the success of the SEMP program with regards to ensuring the vision, to improve chronic pain relief, prevent drug addiction and save lives, and mission, transform the “Best Practices” of pain management into the new “Standard of Care” are shared by providers throughout the state, and to assist with creation of a new state-wide ADHD treatment guideline project.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
What you'll do:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of health insurance and other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
- And More!!
- Identify potential medication issues and recognize some drug-drug and/or drug-disease interactions.
- Recognize and document duplications of therapy for different drug classes.
- Perform calculations of drug dosing to determine if appropriate.
- Identify possible issues in the routes of administration of the different dosage formulations of medications.
- Introduce patients and prescribers to scope, purpose, benefits, and goals of the SEMPP & Rational Drug Therapy Programs
- Perform preparation documentation including a pharmaceutical history for PA case reviews, transitioning calls to the pharmacist(s) or scheduling for a telephone consultation with a pharmacist in the near future, and performing follow-up work.
- Assist Program Coordinator/Pharmacist with administrative details and operational needs of the programs.
- Research, gather, develop, and coordinate materials and reporting needed for metrics, administrative needs, the research and evaluation team, grant needs, etc.
- Participate in quality assurance reviews while maintaining the highest quality standards for professionalism and customer service.
- Conduct regional outreach to promote the programs.
- Assist Program Coordinator/Pharmacist with special projects and accomplishing tasks important to the program as needed.
- Associate's degree OR an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- 0-6 months of experience and knowledge of medical condition symptoms, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Strong mathematical skills necessary to perform financial and dosage calculations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, exercising judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to organize information and draw logical conclusions.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and set priorities regarding the work to be accomplished.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills. Outstanding people skills, including a positive attitude, outgoing personality, and the ability to effective deal with all types and levels of people in a positive manner.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
- Skilled at using a microcomputer and related software, including Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.).
- Skilled at using mainframe/microcomputers for Internet data collection, electronic mail, and other software.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to learn scientific or specialized terminology specifically relating to Pharmacy and healthcare insurance programs.
- Knowledge of prescription drug information (i.e., generic and brand names, class of drugs).
- Knowledge of pharmacy operations and insurance billing processes associated with retail pharmacy operations.
- Knowledge of symptoms, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Ability to follow guidelines and convey information in an accurate manner.
- Ability to be flexible and work in an environment with frequent rule changes.
This job has expired.
- Licensed Pharmacy Technician or eligible to pass an equivalent examination.