Sr. Data Engineer
Reston, VA, Alpharetta GA or Portland OR
Are you the data engineer Cirium is looking for? Cirium has grown its portfolio significantly through the acquisition of leading data intelligence companies, including Ascend, Innovata, Diio and FlightStats.
Cirium is looking for a Sr. Data Engineer to work in a cross-functional agile team to process and increase the data quality of a new product. You will work alongside other skilled data engineers, program managers, architects, and subject matter experts with the goal of accelerating the quality of our product's data. Your core efforts will be focused on collaborating to understand existing and develop complex analysis pipelines using aviation data. You will be able to share your knowledge and expertise to help build the future of the company's data products.
This is an exciting time at Cirium as we are embarking on a journey to reshape the way the entire company works with data, gathers analytical insights, and builds new products. The data engineer role is at the heart of building out these capabilities with lots of room for growth along the way.
• 5+ years in data management / Data Manipulation using Python / Pyspark
• Bachelor's Degree (Engineering/Computer Science preferred but not required); or equivalent experience.
Technical Skills Needed:
• Strong understanding of normalized/dimensional data modeling principles.
• Experience running data pipelines or notebooks and have worked with a data lake before
• Strong knowledge of AWS data tools and data storage options.
• Strong knowledge in Industry data engineering best practices.
• Knowledge in using and developing in SAS.
• Ability to collaborate with various team members and functions to finalize requirements.
• Knowledge of test-driven development.
• Solid knowledge of software development methodologies (e.g., Agile, Waterfall).
• Ability to troubleshoot and resolve process inefficiencies (i.e. bugs) in the repository.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Knowledge of commercial aviation industry data (ticketing, booking, itinerary data, schedules), US DOT aviation data (DB1B and T-100), QSI
• Perform data loads ensuring recurring updates are automated
• Interface with other technical personnel or team members to document, interpret, and finalize requirements.
• Produce code that is efficient, repeatable, without defects, and adherent to best practices such as naming conventions, encapsulation, etc.
• Write and review portions of detailed specifications for the development of data components.
• Complete complex data engineering bug fixes and issues, researching and identifying root causes as appropriate.
• Identify opportunities to apply automation or other tools to improve effectiveness or efficiency.
• Work closely with other development team members to understand complex product requirements and translate them into data engineering and/or data management designs.
• Work with the team to build new estimation and forecasting models using fit for purpose data processing technologies such as SAS, PySpark.
• Mentor less senior data engineers on methodologies and optimization techniques.
• All other duties as assigned
Who are we?
Cirium employs a team of over 400 technologists, analysts, data scientists and market experts in the UK, US, Europe, India and Asia-Pacific. In 1909 we were the first to record the earliest days of flight and now in 2019, as Cirium, we are uniquely positioned to reshape the wider travel industry with our data intelligence solutions. Our people are at the center of who we are. Whatever your background you are welcome. We are looking for talented and dynamic team players who focus on delivering successful outcomes.
We are a business where three out of our seven leaders are women, over 20 languages are spoken, where some leaders have grey hair and some have purple. Where our sales teams take time out to support local schools and our product teams champion local women back into the workplace. We are a flexible employer and happy to accommodate different working solutions for the right talent.
Cirium analyzes the huge volume of data generated from the millions of flights a year to help keep the travel industry in motion:
• 35 million airline flights are tracked and 70 million passenger itineraries processed each year to alert corporate travel companies, travel agencies and airlines, so that travelers stay up-to-date with flight status and airlines minimize disruption
• Over US$300 billion worth of airline tickets are analyzed for market insights
• Over 3.3 million flights are tracked per month covering over 97% of scheduled flights worldwide and more than 80% of tracked flights, matched to aircraft registration numbers so engine efficiency can be optimized per hour
• US$5.3 trillion worth of aircraft assets are valued by Cirium each year, as part of strategy and pricing partnerships with the world's top 50 lessors and tier one investment banks
We are an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
Posted about 9 hours ago
Posted about 9 hours ago
Posted about 9 hours ago