Software Engineer IV
We are a 140-year-old/9000-person Global Analytics Organization.
Our mission: Elsevier helps researchers and healthcare professional's advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society.
About Our Team
Our team is responsible for Digital Commons, a best-in-class hosted software solution for institutions wishing to publish, manage and display their research and scholarship on the Web. Our customers include leading academic institutions, research institutes, and government agencies. We help librarians, researchers, scientists, and students make their work globally accessible.
We use Scrum and select Extreme Programming practices, including user stories, automated testing, and continuous integration. We use GitHub pull requests and peer-review the code we write. We practice "dual-track agile," interleaving discovery and prototyping with product development activities. We also play a lot of Codenames.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer on the Digital Commons development squad, you will help transform a monolithic legacy system into a suite of modern Web services and applications. This is not a mere migration exercise, but an opportunity to reimagine our product offering. Apply your creativity, past experiences, and technical chops to help us find opportunities to radically improve workflows and overall user experience and streamline our operations.
- Collaborating on product ideation, technical approach and solution design
- Translating product requirements into clear technical designs
- Performing technical "spikes" to explore solutions and reduce uncertainty
- Building Web applications and services, employing clean code and best practices
- Creating and maintaining automated tests
- Participating in peer code reviews
- Enacting our agile development process with a commitment to continuous improvement
- Be proficient in a high-level programming language (Python preferred)
- Be able to design, create and query a relational database
- Possess basic object-oriented design skills
- Have server-side Web development expertise, including REST, APIs, JSON
- Have some experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Have experience writing automated tests (TDD experience desirable)
- Be able to communicate clearly in person and in writing
- Be willing to collaborate with other developers, business stakeholders and customers
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.