BASIC FUNCTIONS: This position provides effective architectural and structural design leadership for the applicable RELX Business Unit. Additionally, the position ensures ongoing development, maintenance, and delivery of technical knowledge and expertise and determines the technical feasibility of large development projects. This position is also responsible for providing technical assessments of new technologies and acquisition candidates to executive management as needed.
• 15+ years of experience in software, network, or systems architecture
• BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required; advanced degree required
• Master level in architectural design, strong knowledge of architectural governance.
• Master-level knowledge in programming language(s); e.g., .Net, Java, HTML, Perl, C++, C#, PHP, etc.; or expert level in engineering discipline.
• Innovative and solutions-oriented in new technologies, security, and infrastructure.
• Expert in a plurality of the following technologies: Parallel and Distributed Processing Systems, Information Retrieval, Data Mining, Natural Language Processing, Very Large Scale Databases, Declarative Languages, and High-Performance Computing.
• Solid working knowledge in a plurality of the following areas: Network Design (LAN and WAN), Storage System Architectures, Service-Oriented Architecture technologies, XML and XSLT, and Parallel Processing Architectures (such as SMP and NUMA).
• Experience with a plurality of the following operating systems: Windows Server, UNIX (Linux), and z/OS.
• Strong research skills.
• Advanced organization/project planning, time management, and change management skills across multiple functional groups and departments, and advanced delegation skills involving prioritizing and reprioritizing projects and managing projects of various size and complexity.
• Excellent problem-solving experience involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to effectively troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues; prior success extracting/translating findings into alternatives/solutions; and identifying risks/impacts and schedule adjustments to facilitate management decision-making.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills. Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills applicable to a wide audience including senior and executive management, customers, etc., including diction/terminology and presenting information in a concise and effective manner to clients, management, and various departments using assorted communication mediums.
ACCOUNTABILITIES: • Plan for the evolution of the Business Unit systems, including the retirement and replacement of existing systems.
• Provide consultancy, leadership, and promotion of engineering best practices.
• Proactively monitor the Business Unit system health and design and write proposals to remedy the cause of negative trends.
• Review and approve changes to infrastructure subsystems and components.
• Provide architecture and design for large development or infrastructure business engineering efforts.
• Perform technical evaluations of new technology and acquisition candidates as required.
• Assist in the development of comprehensive information security procedures and practices and deployment of a detailed security audit.
• Evaluate new technologies and their applicability to the business.
• Respond to enterprise security issues, quickly designing and implementing solutions to respond to security incidents.
• Act as a conduit between Global Architecture (Enterprise Architects) and the Engineering or Development teams.
• Work across/with Architects from different organizations.
• Introduce/trains teams with new technology.
• Problem-solve, involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to effectively troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues.
• Extract/translate findings into alternatives/solutions, identifying risks/impacts and schedule adjustments to facilitate management decision-making.
• Drive technical direction and architecture evolution via reviews and on-floor leadership.
• Proactively monitor new development to discover subsystems or components that should be evolved into shared infrastructure.
• Proactively research, monitor, learn, and assess industry/technology advancements and continually build alliances to explore ways to leverage and advance our technical opportunities.
• All other duties as assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.