CONSULTCASES:Processes/types final surgical diagnostic reports forVice-Chair's private consult cases (approx. 2700 p.a.). Calls referring pathologists and cliniciansto obtain outside pathology reports and/or clinical histories whennecessary. Checks billing codes inPowerPath, matches up patient demographics with outside correspondence andprepares billing forms when indicated.
Packs up (formailing) all original pathology materials (slides and blocks) to return tooutside institutions.
Preparesoriginal correspondence for scanning (i.e. obliterating outside bar codes,removing staples) and collating with PowerPath reports. Maintains revolving file for correspondence.
DATABASE ANDMATERIALS MANAGEMENT:Maintains slide filesfor Vice-Chair's private consult service, which includes matching unstainedslides with cases, generating slide labels and filing. Keeps a log of consult blocks going to/fromthe histology laboratory.
Organizes and facilitates the collection of casematerials with reports for weekly BWH/DFCI multidisciplinary clinicopathologicsarcoma conference (approx. 12 cases per week) which involves ordering slidesfrom storage, liaising with Consult Services, residents, fellows and seniorstaff as well as with individuals from other divisions (e.g. Cytology). Prepares QA report for conference
Conducts database searches and creates reports asneeded. Maintains various databases.
RECEPTIONIST/GENERALADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES:Answers telephone for Vice-Chair and the Division,directs calls and takes messages. Responds to telephone and faxed requestsregarding diagnostic results (while maintaining HIPAA compliance). Communicates daily with patients, outsidepathologists and clinicians and their representatives, members of the Departmentand BWH community.
Prints journal articles from eCommons (and on-linesites) and generates monthly Tables of Contents, as directed by the Vice-Chair.
Performs general office tasks such as filing,photocopying, collating and distributing materials.
Serves as back up to Vice-Chair's SeniorAdministrative Assistant in his/her absence.
Maintains establisheddepartmental policies, procedures, objectives, including quality assurance,safety, environmental affairs and infection control.
Performs all otherduties as instructed.
Qualifications Level of education required:
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED.Work experience required:
- Minimum three years medical office or administrative support experience required.
- Some additional training in office systems or other post high school education preferred. Associate's Degree or higher level education preferred, but not required.SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: Technical skills required:
- Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
- Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
- Highly proficient in all communication skills (phone, verbal and written). Ability to handle sensitive information and situations with poise and professionalism.
- Organization Skills: Strong organizational, coordination and judgment skills. Ability to prioritize effectively. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, following established protocols, and work within systems.
- System Skills: Advanced computer skills. Ability to use all applicable applications at highest competency level.
- Ability to problem solves and troubleshoots. Ability to analyze a situation and determine best course of action within established guidelines.
- Advanced understanding and use of medical terminology.
- Advanced comprehension of billing and fiscal information.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
BWH Behavioral Competencies
1. People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect
Definition: Maintain an environment where individuals value and respect differences in all situations. Stand firm against intolerance and bias to create a welcoming environment and respect all individuals regardless of race, gender identity, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental ability, religion, socio-economic status, or national origin.
1. Work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives, talents, roles, backgrounds and/or styles
2. Contribute to a positive team environment where differences are respected, supported and are free from stereotyping and offensive comments
3. Be professional when approached about behaviors that might be perceived as disrespectful
Definition: The ability to effectively articulate and receive information in a clear, concise and timely manner.
1. Practice active listening skills
2. Foster and maintain an environment that respects open dialogue, differences of opinion, as well as diverse communication styles
3. Ensure that information is shared in a clear, accurate, and timely manner using the appropriate communication method for your audience
4. Express oneself clearly and professionally in your verbal, non-verbal, written, and electronic communication
Building Collaborative Relationships
Definition: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve organizational goals.
1. Take initiative to support others and build productive relationships that will lead to a cohesive workplace
2. Interact effectively with other team members, departments and customers to accomplish organizational goals
Definition: Understand how one's own work affects the organization as a whole and demonstrate a commitment to the organizational goals.
1. Support and respect BWH's mission, vision, values and history
2. Understand and recognize how your individual role and department impacts the organization
2. Self Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Definition: Demonstrate adaptability and openness to organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness and goals.
1. Support and positively participate in organizational and/or job specific changes
2. Initiate appropriate action when change is needed
3. Be flexible and open to new ideas
4. Adapt to shifting priorities
Page 3 of 5
Definition: Predisposed to pursue learning opportunities even outside own comfort zone, one stays abreast of new tools and methods, rising to add value and build challenge in current assignments.
1. Demonstrate openness to learning from successes and failures
2. Recognize and participate in learning opportunities
3. Seek and share best practices
Definition: Practice respect for self and others; and adhere to BWH standards, policies, and procedures at all times.
1. Adhere to BWH's Code of Conduct, Guide to Ethical Standards, policies and procedures
2. Align behavior with the organizational mission and values
3. Practice respect in accordance to the BWH standards
4. Demonstrate responsibility, reliability, and trustworthiness
3. Organization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance
Quality and Safety Focus
Definition: Responsible for meeting standards of performance or outcomes in a safe manner while avoiding risks.
1. Align job performance with quality and safety standards (e.g. The Joint Commission, BWH and department specific standards)
2. Adhere to established policies and procedures
3. Take action to prevent errors
4. Identify and report adverse events, errors and incidents
Efficiency and Performance Improvement
Definition: Systematic approach to improve performance by eliminating waste, non-value added activities and variability in processes.
1. Participate in process and performance improvement by identifying, analyzing, and enhancing existing processes to achieve better outcomes
2. Maximize available resources to achieve performance measures; reduce waste, rework, and work-arounds consistent with one's role
Definition: Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of the problem before taking action; and if necessary develop alternative courses of action.
1. Recognize actual and potential problems and take appropriate action towards a solution
2. Offer assistance, as needed, when a potential problem situation is observed
3. Use good judgment to keep manager informed of problems or issues, following department practice
Definition: Focusing one's efforts towards anticipating, meeting and exceeding the expressed and unexpressed needs or expectations of internal and external customers.
1. Apply service standards consistently to present a positive image of BWH to colleagues, health providers, patients, families, and visitors:
2. .Engage with positive greetings and active listening
3. Empathize by expressing understanding
4. Educate throughout the information exchange
5. Enlist thoughts and ideas from others
Page 4 of 5
4. General/Administrative Support: (required of all Administrative Support employees)
Definition: Identify and seek information needed to clarify a situation. Ask questions to discover the facts.
1. Identify specific information needed to clarify a situation or to make a decision
2. Probe skillfully to get at the factsHOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
These are required of all staff, regardless of position. Do not remove these standards. Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.