Moderna is seeking a Supervisor of Manufacturing, to build and lead a cohesive team responsible for manufacturing small-molecule custom raw materials for our mRNA vaccines and therapeutics. This position is initially located at 200 Tech Square in Cambridge, MA. This position is nominally 1st shift Monday - Friday but will have responsibilities for a small team of Manufacturing Associates on both 1st and 2nd shifts during the establishment of the new team and production area. As the longer-term strategy for this team is developed, the team will likely transition to a different model in order to support manufacturing startup and ongoing operations.
The individual in this role will be a hands-on front-line leader, accountable for leading a team in support of a fast paced operation to deliver critical materials for our vaccine and therapeutic clinical candidates and commercial products. He/she will apply existing knowledge of small molecule chemistry unit operations and cGMPs. They will enable technical and operational success while keeping employee safety and product quality front of mind. They will develop a high-performing, flexible manufacturing team capable of meeting a constantly evolving manufacturing operation timeline.
Here's What You'll Do:
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table (Minimum Qualifications):
- Ensure Safe and Compliant production of Critical Raw Materials and associated intermediates
- Oversee the hiring, training, development, retention, coaching, and overall performance of staff for execution of manufacturing operations
- Provide on-the-floor coaching of the manufacturing team in execution of the process, troubleshooting, cGMPs, and safety practices
- Escalate and drive resolution to issues that may impact operational safety, product quality, or ability to produce
- Work with process SMEs to develop batch records, SOPs and training materials
- Ensure the training of staff and adherence to established procedures
- Establish and maintain a Quality Culture within your team
- Closely partner with QA peers for rapid disposition of batches, including ensuring timely batch record, protocol, and log reviews, deviation investigation support, etc.
- Own the investigation and CAPA implementation for Human Performance deviations
- Play a key role in leading ops readiness for new product introductions and technology transfers
- Maintain a flexible schedule based on the demands of production
- Monitor the achievement of business and financial goals, rapidly escalate when critical issues arise that impact our ability to meet those goals
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Technical SMEs (MS&T, PD, Process Eng), Facilities, Validation, Supply Chain, QA, and QC in order to meet business goals
- Requires BS in a relevant science or engineering discipline plus 5 years' experience in a biotechnology manufacturing/quality/development environment; or an MS with 2-5 years' experience; or 10+ years professional experience with 5 years' being in a pharmaceutical manufacturing/quality/development environment.
- Previous Supervisory / Leadership experience is required
- Prior experience working in a manufacturing operation or pilot plant utilizing organic solvents and other hazardous materials
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of cGMPs
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
Moderna is pleased to provide you and your family with a comprehensive and innovative suite of benefits, including:
- Subject Matter Expert on the set up/use/process of TFF Systems, Chromatography systems, single use process materials/consumables is preferred.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong leadership, collaboration, and team building skills
- Skill in conflict resolution and crucial conversations (within the team and between functions)
- Fluency in digital systems such as SAP, DeltaV, MES, etc.
- Strong understanding of manufacturing supply chain systems, including production planning, scheduling, and material management
- Proven ability to assess risk and collaborate with support groups to develop suitable action plans and minimize potential impact
- Highly competitive and inclusive medical, dental and vision coverage options
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Lifestyle Spending Account funds to help you engage in personal enrichment and self-care activities
- Family care benefits, including subsidized back-up care options and on-demand tutoring
- Free premium access to fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes
- Exclusive preferred pricing on Peloton fitness equipment
- Adoption and family-planning benefits
- Dedicated care coordination support for our LGBTQ+ community
- Generous paid time off, including:
• Vacation, sick time and holidays
• Volunteer time to participate within your community
• Discretionary year-end shutdown
• Paid sabbatical after 5 years; every 3 years thereafter
- Generous Paid Leave offerings, including 18 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 401k match and Financial Planning tools
- Moderna-paid Life, LTD and STD insurance coverages, as well as voluntary benefit options
- Complimentary concierge service including home services research, travel booking, and entertainment requests
- Free parking or subsidized commuter passes
- Location-specific perks and extras!
Candidates should be aware that Moderna currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date. Moderna is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.About Moderna
In over 10 years since its inception, Moderna has transformed from a research-stage company advancing programs in the field of messenger RNA (mRNA), to an enterprise with a diverse clinical portfolio of vaccines and therapeutics across seven modalities, a broad intellectual property portfolio in areas including mRNA and lipid nanoparticle formulation, and an integrated manufacturing plant that allows for rapid clinical and commercial production at scale. Moderna maintains alliances with a broad range of domestic and overseas government and commercial collaborators, which has allowed for the pursuit of both groundbreaking science and rapid scaling of manufacturing. Most recently, Moderna's capabilities have come together to allow the authorized use and approval of one of the earliest and most effective vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderna's mRNA platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, and has allowed the development of therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune diseases. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past seven years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.