MAG Aerospace is currently looking for a Technical Writer to work at a fast-paced and highly technical satellite communication development laboratory in TYAD. The Technical Writer will be involved in the interpretation of engineering data and translation of said data into cleanly-organized and effective technical documents. This Technical Writer position will encompass a broad range of documents (periodic reports, plans, Technical Data Packages (TDPs), software manuals, installation guides etc.) and the candidate will be expected to work closely with the appropriate Engineering Team Lead, and/or other teams as necessary for proper and accurate development of a document.This position is in-person and on-site at Tobyhanna Army Depot (TYAD) in Tobyhanna, PA. There is no possibility of remote work, hybrid, or telework except during extreme winter weather. Candidates without a secret clearance will be considered, but an existing clearance is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include, but not limited to:
Technical Writing: The task of technical writing requires research, interviewing, writing original content, and, in some cases, a working knowledge of the subject.
- The candidate will work in a lab environment supporting network engineers and other subject matter experts (SME) in the performance of their duties. The candidate will be expected to assist the lab SMEs with the consistency, correctness, completeness, and aesthetics of test documents and other various technical documents.
- The candidate will work on complex projects which require original thinking and new approaches. The candidate will plan and conduct assignments, review progress and evaluate results, work with other technical and administrative disciplines, and perform top-level analysis/research and plans.
The technical editing process is an in-depth editorial effort, which requires reviewing a document for all the following:
Technical Content - verifies Technical Document (TD) for technical accuracy and renders information into words that the intended or targeted audience will understand. Rewrites text as necessary to condense, consolidate, and clarify verbiage.
Language Style - reviews the quality of language in a document, checking fluency, parallelism, and level of writing.
Substance - checks for rational paragraphing, format, content coherence, and comprehensiveness of tables and figures to eliminate contradictions and inconsistencies.
Format editing requires reviewing a document for all the following:
Conformance - ensures adherence to applicable specifications or style/format guidelines (e.g., cited Government procuring agency style guide, standard, or specification). Normally, higher-quality documents are required to conform to AAI identity and Best Commercial Standards.
Integrity - ensures proper agreement among all parts of the document. Thus, all tables and figures that are referenced in text are verified to exist, follow in proper order, and have unique and meaningful titles; a consistent numbering system (where applicable) is used for all pages, paragraphs, tables, and illustrations. Ensures that all internal references are correct.
Layout - ensures that all pages are of uniform dimension and margins. Ensures that text, tables, and illustrations are legible and presented in a logical format that enhances understanding and comprehension.
Responsible for the proofreading of all text, tabular, and illustration pages, checking for errors and making the necessary corrections. All documents produced by the Team comply with the following proofreading guidelines:
RequirementsMinimum RequirementsKnowledge and Skills
- The initial typing of a new document requires 100-percent proofreading.
- In subsequent review cycles, changes or updates from contributors require 100-percent proofreading of altered areas and scanning each affected page to ensure that no other areas have been inadvertently changed or misprinted.
- In cases where computer malfunction is suspected, a 100-percent proofreading of all pages is necessary to guarantee that content and/or format throughout the TD has not been changed or lost.
- Ability to grasp complex technical concepts and translate into easily understandable documents.
- Candidate must be capable of juggling multiple complex documentation tasks with little or no oversight, while also working effectively within a documentation team to support varying workloads.
- Must be comfortable with frequent interaction with site government and contractor personnel as it pertains to the development of technical documentation including user manuals, test plans and procedures, specifications, white papers, and equipment and/or systems training materials and technology description documents
- Strong knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and other technologies, specifically: MS Word, Power Point, Visio Adobe Professional
- Some knowledge of Photo Shop (or equivalent photo SW).
- Bachelor's Degree with concentration in English or other related field.
- 2-5 years of Technical Writing experience.
- Candidate will ideally be familiar with DoD technical writing requirements and have knowledge of applicable military standards, specifications, and test practices, particularly MIL-STD-40051.
- Candidate will ideally be familiar with Adobe FrameMaker and PTC Arbor Text.
- Secret Clearance
The position is contingent upon candidate's ability to meet physical and medical requirements as needed by the position; thereby, in accordance with Federal Requirements, medical requirements include but are not limited to full COVID-19 vaccination status except in limited circumstances where a candidate is legally entitled to an accommodation - proof of vaccination required.Company Policy
MAG Aerospace (MAG) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to Diversity and Inclusion. We encourage diverse candidates to apply to our positions.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.Click below for the "EEO is The Law" and "Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination" supplement posters.
MAG Aerospace (MAG) is committed to providing an online application process that is accessible to all, including individuals with a disability, by offering an alternative way to apply for job openings. This alternative method is available for those who cannot otherwise complete the online application due to a disability or need for accommodation.MAG provides reasonable accommodation to applicants under the guidance of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam-Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, and certain state and/or local laws.
If you need assistance due to a disability, please contact the MAG Aerospace Recruiting email:Applicant.Assist@magaero.com or call (703) 376-8993.