The Class A CDL Driver reports to the Facilities & Operations Supervisor, Dispatcher or the Terminal Operations Supervisor. The Driver is responsible for driving a tractor trailer combination or truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 GVW to transport and deliver equipment and material to supplier, customer, storage, or processing locations while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards and all applicable DOT regulations. Duties may include the operation of one or several types of loading and unloading equipment including but not limited to pallet jacks, hand trucks, hand lifts, hydraulic lifts, or wheel loaders. The Tractor Trailer Driver should possess knowledge of automatic routing equipment, wet systems, relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and regulations associated with running, maneuvering, navigating, or driving vehicles.
This position operates under flexible parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the position. Providing the highest quality product safely, effectively and efficiently decreases accidents and errors and increase profits.
Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Move freight and materials to and from production areas, loading docks, delivery vehicles, ships, and containers by hand or using trucks, tractors, and other equipment.
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew, checking that vehicle and loading equipment are properly positioned.
- Secure material for transport using ropes, blocks, chains, or covers.
- Receive instructions from dispatch and proceed to location for delivery or receipt of material.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Maintain all logs of working hours, vehicle service, and repair status, adhering to state and federal regulations.
- Obtain receipts or signatures for delivered materials, and check all documentation to ensure it is complete and accurate.
- Provide backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or assigned.
Equipment & Maintenance
Internal Control Responsibilities:
- Carry needed tools and supplies from storage or trucks, and return them after use.
- Report all vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damages to the appropriate supervisor.
Supports the Company's Internal Control process which includes understanding, communicating, and complying with defined internal controls as well as suggesting and making modifications to the policies, procedures, and controls to better relate to the business.
Communicates upward problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, or other policy violations or illegal actions.Supervisory Responsibilities:
This position does not encompass any supervisory responsibilities.Interpersonal Contacts:
Direct contact with Facilities & Operations Supervisor, Dispatcher, or Terminal Operations Supervisor, and operations production employees. Face-to-face and radio communication required daily.Job Conditions:
This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, face shields, and additional personal protective equipment as needed, must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards. Travel is not required for this position.
Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. Work load may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Extra hours may be required, sometimes on weekends, weekdays, and holidays.Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions
Ability to: sit constantly; stand and walk frequently on uneven ground and throughout the yard; lift and carry up to 50 pounds consistently; push and pull occasionally when moving materials; crouch or bend at the knees consistently to move or access materials or equipment; stoop or bend at the waist consistently to move materials; reach at arms-length and overhead frequently; twist and turn at the neck and trunk continually; climb occasionally when obtaining items; manual dexterity required as Tractor Trailer Driver will handle, grasp, and manipulate controls and equipment constantly; arm-hand steadiness required constantly for precision work; communicate by speech and hearing continually. Visual acuity (near and far vision) needed for vehicular navigation. Mental dexterity needed as Tractor Trailer Driver will work independently while demonstrating attention to detail and continuous awareness.Qualifications:
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Valid Class A Commercial Drivers’ license
- Valid medical card
- Three (3) years verifiable Class A driving experience within the last five (5) years
- No more than two (2) moving violations in the last three (3) years
- No more than one (1) preventable accident in the last three (3) years
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.
Company Pacific Car Crushing LLC