INDIANA UNIVERSITY PUBLIC SAFE (UA-PSIA-IUBLA)
Indiana University Public Safety pursues IU's commitment to providing the greatest degree of safety for all members of the IU community, consistent with the university's mission and environment, applicable legal and professional standards, and available resources. IU Public Safety directly oversees the IU Police Department , University Environmental Health and Safety , and Emergency Management and Continuity with a team of approximately 300 dedicated staff on a 24/7/365 operational basis across all campuses.
- Participates on senior leadership teams to formulate strategic planning and the highest-level operational objectives for emergency management areas.
- Establishes long-term business plans and long-term strategic objectives.
- Directs leadership staff who provide supervision to emergency management teams.
- Responsible for escalated operational issues, including human resources and/or people management situations.
- Drives innovation and excellence within the area of emergency management; reviews and creates policies and procedures.
- Determines overall budget for emergency management teams; reviews and approves financial proposals from direct reporting leaders; has significant fiscal responsibilities that require frequent interaction with executive leaders.
- Provides expertise and identifies grant and/or funding opportunities; develops business relationships across the university and externally
- Stays up-to-date on new emergency management standards and works collaboratively with other emergency management leaders across departments and/or campuses in determining standards, best practices, and related policies/procedures; ensures the adoption and implementation by direct reporting leaders.
- Bachelor's degree in related field
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
- 8 years of experience in law enforcement, business, communications, strategy, or related field
- 3 years of management experience
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATESRequired
- Valid driver's license and ability to be insured by Indiana University upon date of hire
Working Conditions / Demands
- Proficient communication skills
- Proactively approaches responsibilities
- Performs work independently with minimal supervision
- Maintains composure under pressure
- Effective leadership skills
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills
- Demonstrates project management skills
- Promotes information sharing
- Ability to represent the company with external constituents
- Ability to inspire and develop staff
- Highly thorough and dependable
The employee in this position will have excellent communication skills. This position is very active and requires moving about the workspace and ascending/descending stairs or ladders. The role requires frequently moving objects that weigh up to 50 pounds. The role requires the ability to detect items in close proximity as well as far away; discern between colors; detect objects in peripheral space; discern items in detail; and to have good depth perception. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Benefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Strategic
Job Function: Legal, Safety, & Protection
Job Family: Emergency Preparation
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us