About Veolia North America
A subsidiary of Veolia group, Veolia North America (VNA) offers a full spectrum of water, waste and energy management services, including water and wastewater treatment, commercial and hazardous waste collection and disposal, energy consulting and resource recovery. VNA helps commercial, industrial, healthcare, higher education and municipality customers throughout North America. Headquartered in Boston, Mass., Veolia North America has more than 10,000 employees working at more than 350 locations across the continent. Please visit our website www.veolianorthamerica.com.
Pay Rate: $25.00 - $50.00, Per Hour
Veolia's comprehensive benefits package includes paid time off policies, as well as health, dental and vision insurance. In addition, employees are also entitled to participate in an employer sponsored 401(k) plan, to save for retirement. Pay and benefits for employees represented by a union are outlined in their collective bargaining agreement.
The Wastewater Operator operates and maintains sludge, dewatering treatment, processing, and disposal and testing equipment in a wastewater treatment facility to meet permit requirements.
- Tends automatic and semi-automatic machines and related equipment including pumps, engines, generators, valves, gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, chemical feed and odor control and vacuum filters used to decontaminate waste water by settling, aeration and sludge digestion.
- Monitors control panels and adjusts valves and gates manually or by remote control to regulate flow.
- Monitors flow meters, gauges, flow ratios, pressures and related controls through instrument panels, computer terminals and programmable logic control units in assigned area.
- Monitors and records operating conditions observations and data in area shift log.
- Ensures conformance to process specifications. Diagnoses basic operational problems and takes corrective action per procedure. Verifies and reports suspected malfunctions and variances to supervisor and takes corrective actions.
- Performs routine and preventative maintenance and maintenance related items as assigned. To include manual labor filling and emptying of machine bins and cleaning equipment, facilities and grounds as required. Practices good housekeeping in assigned area and properly disposes of waste according to safety and environmental policies.
- Operates vehicles for plant operational purposes.
- Performs field tests (chemical, physical and biological) in order to pace chemical dosages for process and odor control units or alter unit processes.
- Samples wastewater, sludge and gases (odor control, digester, etc.) according to schedule.
- Prepares chemical solutions and services automatic samplers.
- Monitors process chemical supplies and recommends reorder.
- Performs routine lab tests, routine instrument calibration for portable meters including, but not limited to, dissolved oxygen, pH, H2S, percent oxygen, lower explosive limit.
- Spends 100% of time in operations environment.
- May need to work outside in inclement weather conditions and drive company vehicle to perform duties.
- May be exposed to possible operations hazards including dust, fumes, toxic and caustic chemicals, heavy machinery, high pressure, hot or cold temperatures, slippery surfaces, water and electrical equipment hazards.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Must have experience in wastewater treatment.
- Must have the ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety and quality instructions). The ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
- Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call as required by site.
- Knowledge and skills in the processes and methods of wastewater treatment, bio-solids handling programs, air emissions systems and standards, laboratory standard methods for water and wastewater and operation and maintenance procedures for related equipment.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local laws pertaining to wastewater treatment facility with a NPDES permit.
- Ability to handle emergency situations with proper training.
- Ability to provide first aid, CPR and use SCBA equipment.
- Strong mechanical and technical aptitude.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with client, public, and employees.
- Ability to organize and manage assigned work tasks, respond appropriately to emergency situations, and accurately record facility readings, incidents, etc.
- Ability to operate within a team atmosphere including direction of staff assigned to the Shift Supervisor's work shifts.
- Ability to shift priorities frequently and effectively perform under pressure.
- Ability to operate computer, typewriter and other office machines as needed. Skills in Microsoft Office Suite and SCADA systems.
- CA SWRCB Grade I or above Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and a safe driving record.
- Must be able to pass a drug test and a criminal background check.
- Ability to work a 10 or 12 hour shift schedule which involves night and weekend work.
- May serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call.
- Amount of time spent - Standing 25%, Walking 75% for as many as five miles per shift.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch and enter confined spaces.
- May be required to use ladders or stairs.
- The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds (occasionally 60 pounds).
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Requires close visual observation to detect process non-conformance and machine malfunction.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Disclaimer: The salary, other compensation, and benefits information is accurate as of the date of this posting. The Company reserves the right to modify this information at any time, subject to applicable law.